Cat and Walter advice

• tim hurley
    Participant

This forum has been pretty dead. Would like to go next weekend for cats and walleyes. Would like to troll with cranks then go back and hit promising spots with live bait, would assume crawlers would be the best bet for going after both. So what depths are good?
    What cranks, speeds? lake still pretty good? Thanks

gixxer01
    Participant
    Avon, MN

Just got back from horseshoe. First time I didnt catch a catfish out there. Walleyes can be found as shallow as 4′. Panfish were going strong this afternoon. Water is a little green which seems to help the bite window. 73 degree water temp.

tim hurley
    Participant

Thanks gizzer01; would you use a lindy rig? When we troll would you say 10′?
    When the water is dark do you pick a crank with more wobble like a Salmo? Maybe something with a rattle?

gixxer01
    Participant
    Avon, MN

Not much of a crankbait guy to be honest. We spent 2 hrs pulling crawler harnesses until we found a good pod of panfish, at which point we switched gears and targeted them. The 3 walleyes we brought home came from 6′-8′ casting panfish plastics to a weedline. Incidental catches for sure, but ironic none the less.

Fatheads on a lindy should get you plenty of catfish. Channels are everywhere. They were boiling all over the surface over deep water, though no bug hatch seemed to be taking place.

It was overcast and relatively calm.

tim hurley
    Participant

Thanks for the great tips G, anyone else on cranks? Leaning to a firetiger salmo, maybe troll at 10′

Don Guenther
    Participant

Catching cats on horseshoe is easy. I have been catching as many as I want for years, actually its harder not to catch them.

In the summer during this time of the year just use a bobber with a tail that lays flat. Use a white tube jig and a minnow. Be in 8-12 feet of water and set your jig at 4ft. The cats will find you. When your bobber tail hits 12 noon or straight up then set the hook and have fun.

Popular lakes include:
    Horseshoe north end
    horseshoe sw end of meth hole
    Mud lake north shore
    cedar island around big island
    horseshoe nw shore on far west end

Don

I will tell you how to ice cats when there is ice.

rubberduck
    Participant
    east bethel

What part of the lake is consider the meth hole?

Don Guenther
    Participant

here is where the meth hole is

Attachments:
    1. 11.jpg.a667a662d40d5047616ec524fd16c641.jpg

tim hurley
    Participant

Don what lakes would be the best for a combo of cats and walters? (you opinion)
    Minnows, ok-fatheads? Something else? Thanks

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

Fishing should start to heat up in 3-4 weeks on the chain, fish will be putting on the feedbags…

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

In the winter when people flock to the meth hole, I fish the river and do 10x better.

I cannot imagine the fall to be any different.

Slip rig on bottom with worm will catch anything.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

Also, in the winter especially, the little cats will stack in holes (sorta outta current) and the bigger ones will be close by more related to the current.

You’ll know you’ve found a hole with little cats when you drop a hole and drop you duecer in, and find fish top to bottom!

I once parked in a hole (in the winter) and didn’t move for 40 hours. Non stop action.

tim hurley
    Participant

Got out to the chain and caught a bunch of fish but only one cat. Trolled a crank till about 10 or 11 then switched to a spinner rig-trolled that in 10′ on the north side of Mud at 1.4mph-got one right in front of the channel-did the bobber thing for a while with no luck-back to the trolling; too fast? wrong lake? to mid day? Had fun catching bass and sunnies would like to get more kitties—thanks

gixxer01
    Participant
    Avon, MN

Fatheads on Horseshoe/Kron’s Bay.

tim hurley
    Participant

Thanks for the tip!

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

Fish Cedar Island, Horseshoe, Becker for cats, pretty much anywhere next to weeds will do the trick, gob several worms on a bare hook… I would see them EVERYWHERE when fishing up near the shallows on those lakes…

tim hurley
    Participant

Finally got out and caught some cats-got a few walters and bass too, had a great time thanks for all the tips. My friend wanted to use chicken livers but the local grocery store did not carry them-so we bought chicken gizzards, they outfished the fatheads and the crawlers. Fish were shallow-about 5′.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.