Wisconsin River below Petenwell Dam walleye report

• targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

We found fish in 4 to 16 feet of water today in a back current area. Pitched quarter oz. jigs with various plastics and minnows. We didn’t keep track but i’m guessing we caught 50 to 60 fish today with nine being in the keeping range. That’s a lot better ratio compared to the last couple of years. The fish that I cleaned were full of shiners.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

That’s a good number of legals over there. Good job guys.

joejingle
    Iowa, sometimes Arkansas

Its nice to have a place to soft water fish. Better yet when they bite. Nice Fish

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

Nice job on the fish and great pics,

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

Nice work guys Looks like a blast

2iceman
    Gem Lake, Minnesota

Nice pics, its always good to see fish pics early in the year. Can’t wait to get out.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Nice job guys!

bobcrappies

hey shane ,you going to want to make him open early!!!!!!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Great job on the Eyes Shane

padgett11

Hell of a job… keep it up

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Shane. Didn’t know that was you in the blue boat, when we talked to you guys a couple times. Watched you guys boat 6 of the legals. Nice Job! we got about 3 dozen eyes yeterday, but only two legals in the bunch, and a few perch with one at 11 inhes.
    Today was slower….got a dozen or so, mostly between 8 and 10 am, and then they shut down. Two were legals.
    couldn’t buy a bite on platics. all fish came on meat.
    It was great to be ut on open water, especially with temps in the 40’s.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Good job Zman. Them walleyes were laying very close to where the concrete meets the river bottom. I’m thinking the concrete was puting off heat which attracted the baitfish and then the walleyes. We caught a bunch of fat perch on sunday as well, let them all go. Come on Thursday!

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Should be empty for you on Thursday. We only had two other boats on Monday, and they didn’t launch till 10 or so. We took off at 2pm due to commitments on the home front, just as the winds died down, and things got nice and toasty….except the fish never did turn on. Lots of eagles, though, and they were fishing much closer to the dam than on sunday. Had to be at least 15 of them swooping around.
    So what’s with all the crappie and other fish, floating around at the surface,partially stunned, but swimming away when you tap them with the rod tip?

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

They’re dropping the lake so we were thinking they got sucked through. Who knows though. Lots of dead sheephead on shore that idiots let rot I see as well.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Yep, targa, had to look at that third pic again and reminisce… My bro-in-law, God rest his soul and another friend and myself made it up there one spring day and couldn’t have been to far from that location when pitching a perch rapala I hooked up a big mama ‘eye!!! She hit on the dam side and swam all the way around the boat so she was downstream of us. I remember seeing 12″ of dorsal fin surface, she shook her head and the rapala came screamin’ out and hit the dam wall behind me. How big, no idea, but definitely big, not for the fish, but my bro-in-law, thanks for letting me remember that day!!!

Mark

z-man
    Dousman, WI

What did the fish say when it ran into the wall?

Answer. Dam!

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Glad I could bring you back in time MB. Z-man, please don’t quit your day job and take up comedy . Plan to be out next week if the weather cooperates.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.