Wisconsin River Walleye Thread

• targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I’m really starting to get the itch for some open water walleye fishing so I’m starting a thread because of it. The river below the Petenwell Dam is open as always but i’m sure the ramps are a little blown in right now. With a little help from mother nature I plan to be fishing there in a couple weeks out of the boat.

If you are interested in talking Wisconsin River walleyes below Nekoosa, Petenwell, and Castle Rock please post here. Walleye Days runs March 19th through April 17 on the river below Nekoosa. I plan on spending a lot of time on this stretch this spring. Nekoosa is a blast to fish in the spring. Fifty fish days out of 2-4 feet of water is not uncommon here. With the slot in place for several years now it will be interesting to see the results this year. Anybody wanna talk Wisconsin River walleyes?

Go Pack

jeff_jensen
    Participant
    cassville ,wis

Nice Avi Targaman

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

It’s all about tradition Jeff

Joel Ballweg
    Participant
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I’m starting to feel that open water walleye fishing itch myself. Only difference is I’ll be spending most of my time a little further down the river than you.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Looking forward to your reports and pics joel

mbenson
    Participant
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

targa, good thread, we almost made it down to nekoosa to fish last spring. My turkey calling bud from up here makes it down there a fair amount of time, I just haven’t made it down with him. Also fish below the Pete dam on occasion making it all the way down to the tressel…

Mark

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Yup fish the tressel heading into the rock quite often mb. Gotta fish all the wood on the way down to it too.

Jeff Bennett
    Participant
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

Shane you gave me the itch for sure now ! The Dells is froze up yet and with cold temps the camear looks like it ice up more yet. A few years ago we fished Pete dam and castle dam in Jan. with great suucess. That same year it got cold again so we went back to ice fishing. Send me a message on the launch conditions at Pete. if you can , the boat is ready to go. The wife just had sugery so will have a empty seat in the boat.

DMan
    Participant
    Long Lake IL.

I can’t wait for any of the river to open up from Nekoosa to Lake Wisconsin. Anybody close to Nekoosa please post here as soon as the river below the dam and the public launch is ready to use.

Pat Howard
    Participant
    Sparta Wi

There was a boat out there today Below the Petenwell Dam off Hwy 21

DMan
    Participant
    Long Lake IL.

Hearing that a boat is out it is painful that a can not scratch the itch!

bobcrappies
    Participant

hey shane, last year i was there early march…..maybe ill see u there this march and we can race ,,,,just kidding i only have a 20 hp

z-man
    Participant
    Dousman, WI

Looking to get over to Petenwell Dam hopefully this month. can anyone verify that the ramp at the dam is not snowed in?? If there was a boat out, I’d guess it’s launchable.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

We can have a walleye race Bob, first one to 50 wins . Z man i’m going to check it out this afternoon.

Pat Howard
    Participant
    Sparta Wi

The guys on Saturday had a flat looked like they pushed it out. The ramp looked snow and ice covered and now it’s snowing again

z-man
    Participant
    Dousman, WI

Two years ago in Feb or march, when retrieving my boat from the launch at the dam, I noticed a 2×4 placed in the water , with a bunch of large nails driven up thru it. Was covered by the foam earlier on that day, so didn’t see it when I launched. Got it out of there and stuck it in my boat to dump at home, but put a slow leak in my truck tire, which I noticed the next day. Gotta watch the pranksters there.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

The launch at the dam is good to go. It does have a little snow on it but a 4×4 should be no problem. Was a guy out fishing. I see they put new ramps in at the 21 launch, about time. They could be easily shoveled out but I plan to launch at the dam anyway. I plan to be out there saturday and sunday.

z-man
    Participant
    Dousman, WI

I’m shooting for Sunday and Monday. Save some for us, Targaman. The Yarcraft is put away, so I’ll be in the 12 ft. Lund.

Eric Pomplun
    Participant
    janesville, wisconsin

i cant wait for open water walleyes either. i should be able to make at least one trip to the dells dam this year. hope its better than last year.

mbenson
    Participant
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

targa:

If I remember correctly, I have put the Pro-V in on that landing, does that seem possible??? That is the ramp just below the bait shop, right???

Mark

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Yup that’s the one mb. It’s a pretty decent ramp for the most part. It’s almost saturday!

mbenson
    Participant
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

I am intrigued by Sunday… though I would probably be better served with only Sunday off to get my dogs some exercise, then look at the following weekend as I think it may still be warm…

Mark

z-man
    Participant
    Dousman, WI

Just talked to my buddy, and looks like a go for Sunday and Monday. Should be launching by 9:30 am or so, after checking into the motel. See some of you on the water…we’ll be in the old 12 ft. Lund.

bluhog
    Participant
    Westfield/Coloma Wisc

What exactly is “Walleye Days” I know that it’s about a month long but what is it?

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

It’s basically just a big walleye competition with a cash payout. You can register your fish at a couple baitshops. They must be over 28 inches of course.

z-man
    Participant
    Dousman, WI

How about a post from someone fishing today, after you clean your limits? boats ready to go; be there in the morning, unless you change my mind and convince me not to lose the beauty sleep.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Caught ten walleyes in the 3.5 hours I was out there today. One of the ten was legal at 16 inches. Anchored up and pitched twisters on quarter ounce jigs. One bite on the deadstick. Two other boats out besides me. Will be out tomorrow with a buddy.

z-man
    Participant
    Dousman, WI

Sounds a bit slow. See you out there tomorrow.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.