Wisconsin River – Nekoosa

• mountain man
    Participant
    Coon Valley, WI.

Went out yesterday with guide customers,,, started the early morning with several mid 20″ fish and then things slowed until late morning and through the afternoon when the flow picked up… probably 25 fish were caught in the area we were fishing after that with a bunch of techniques. most fish were just under or just over 15 inches..

krog03
    Participant
    warrens wi.

I was there yesterday also. Had about the same results. Did manage one that was 28in.

z-man
    Participant
    Dousman, WI

Water temps? and how was the flow?

mountain man
    Participant
    Coon Valley, WI.

YESTERDAY THE TEMP WAS 42 TODAY THE TEMP WAS 38.. There is no more water from melt so the little flow yesterday was to run the hyrdro in the afternoon… about 5 miles north/above the dam at Nekoosa you can already can see the tops of the rock piles so no rain … very little flow..and a little tougher bite than usual… really the only reason it will be tougher is more flow more congregation of fish out of or on the current edge and a bigger push towards the dam, low or no flow they spread out more and many will probably lay eggs farther south. But right now the fish are in many of the spots where they are supposed to be… but you have to spend time finding out which they are at and which they aren’t . By Friday, (I have meetings off the water Mon-Weds), I will have the 30 or so spots narrowed down to about 5-7 so our reports should get much better for the weekend. Did you enter your 28″ fish in Nekoosa days???

krog03
    Participant
    warrens wi.

No she went back in to be caught another day They must be getting close to spawn the males were really milking. she came on a purple/white h20 jig in 3ft of water. i caught fish anywhere from 17ft to 3ft. they do seem to be spread out alot more this year. i found water temps as high as 44 degrees mid day. I noticed even the shore fisherman where doing pretty well. hope to get back there this week.

wimwuen
    Participant
    LaCrosse, WI

We were out yesterday and caught 16 or 17 eyes all on cranks and ringworms. Only one of ours was milking though. I personally feel that a major group of fish still haven’t left the lake. The water temps on the lake are not as high as the river (we had just under 45 yesterday).

I think there will be another wave of fish in the next week or two. Remember, it’s not even April yet.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.