Cast Net Permit?

• dirk-w.
    Minnesota

1. I’ve completed my AIS stuff.
    3. Cast net arrives soon.
    2. I have completed the 2021 Permit Application, but….

What’s next? It says to send the Application to St Paul, but at the same time Application appears have a spot were it needs to be signed in the presence of a DNR person, the tag number has to be written down, etc. Can’t do that if I send it in can I?

I’m missing something easy right? I’ve got a call into the DNR but I’m guessing someone here can guide my dumb arse in the right direction tongue

recordhunter

email your app to [email protected] and ask for a appointment to have him put the tag on your net. Then you are good to go. You will get a log that must be maintained and sent in at the end of the year. Shad are thick on middle Pool 2 and Bay point park bay at Redwing. One good throw, bring a 5 gallon pail to unload your bounty

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Dirk, you can arrange to have the tag put on in Lake City as well.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Thanks guys. Easy, but a pain. Makes me wonder if they could work something out where you could tag your net in front of Sean via Zoom or Google Meets? You guys on the catfish committee can get that worked out in the next 10 years grin

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

You guys on the catfish committee can get that worked out in the next 10 years

Don’t exaggerate. It only takes 6 years. coffee

It’s more then just attaching the tag. It’s making sure it’s the right diameter and mesh size. Plus a little rule talk as well.

But I’ll bring it up at the next meeting.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I ran it by Sean and here’s his response. There could be a work around, but we’ll have to see.

“Hello Brian,
    I think we could look into this.

However, it may be complicated and we would to loop in enforcement to see if this would enforceable in the field. Right now enforcement knows each net that is tagged has been visually inspected by a person at the DNR.

I think this would require scheduling multiple zoom calls. One before the tag is sent out confirming they have a legal net. Another zoom call for tagging. Then the tag number could be recorded to the permit.

I think enforcement would need to be consulted because it may require increased enforcement awareness. I think the concern would be if tags were mailed then non-compliant nets may be tagged. I have had multiple instances were non-compliant cast nets have been brought to the office.

Sincerely,
    Sean Sisler
    Commercial Aquatic Programs and Fish Health Consultant
    500 Lafayette Rd. St. Paul, MN 55155”

Personally I feel it’s only one trip to the DNR office. Once the tag is on, that’s it.

It was about 15 years ago and I was at Catfish Bar on the St Croix. Cast Nets were legal in WI but not MN. There was a boat netting shad with a WI license of the side of their boat and when they weren’t netting, they were catching (channels I think, it was dark). Now I have folks from WI asking how I can use a cast net and they can’t. (must be in MN waters)

It’s a bit of a hassle, but in the end we could be like WI is now, had people like Steve DeMars spent a ton of time informing the Senate what a shad was and working though the risks with the DNR.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Personally I feel it’s only one trip to the DNR office. Once the tag is on, that’s it.

It was about 15 years ago and I was at <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Catfish Bar on the St Croix. Cast Nets were legal in WI but not MN. There was a boat netting shad with a WI license of the side of their boat and when they weren’t netting, they were catching (channels I think, it was dark). Now I have folks from WI asking how I can use a cast net and they can’t. (must be in MN waters)

It’s a bit of a hassle, but in the end we could be like WI is now, had people like Steve DeMars spent a ton of time informing the Senate what a shad was and working though the risks with the DNR.

[/quote]

Totally get it. Better to go through a little hassle to be able to net shad than not be able to do it at all. Making change in MN laws is infinitely more complicated than I imagined and I appreciate those that stick with it to make change for us cat/sturgeon fisherman. Slow change is better than “no” change.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I appreciate those that stick with it to make change for us cat/sturgeon fisherman.

You should take credit Dirk! It was because of your “warning” that any of this happened!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.