Cast Iron Skillets

• picklerick
    Central WI

I have been doing fish and other frying in a large (9 quart) Le Creuset dutch oven and I like it so much I don’t use the old black cast iron anymore. There are a million cheaper versions out there as well which I would think would work just as well.

The La Creuset has all the advantages of cast iron because it is cast iron. The best part is that the enamel coating eliminates all the black cast iron pan issues with rust, seasoning, sticking, cleanup, etc. No need to be sanding, buffing, waxing, oiling, massaging, etc, etc, etc.

I also like the depth because there’s less spatter. Try it if you have one of these enamel dutch ovens.

I’ll be making a chuck roast and veggies in mine tonight. It’s my workhorse for stews, roasts, chili, soup, frying.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If I were buying right now, there’s a direct-to-consumer brand out of Argentina that looks really good.

Do you know what that’s called?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

a large (9 quart) Le Creuset dutch oven

We have one of those and it is awesome! Great for soup and roasts too.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The La Creuset has all the advantages of cast iron because it is cast iron. The best part is that the enamel coating eliminates all the black cast iron pan issues with rust, seasoning, sticking, cleanup, etc. No need to be sanding, buffing, waxing, oiling, massaging, etc, etc, etc.

Ya, but how do you get your eggs to taste like fried fish the next morning?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

LOL, my son still reminds me of the fish-flavored pancakes we had a few years ago in the BWCA.

tswoboda

Yeah Darto is correct – some good looking stuff there.

The enameled cast iron dutch ovens and braisers are great but serve a different purpose.

I’ve been using a cast aluminum pan/pot/dutch oven type thing for backcountry cooking the last few years and really like it.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Now I need another pan. (

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I’m a big fan of cast iron/carbon steel. The carbon steel pans are fantastic to cook on, and IMO take a seasoning way better than any CI.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Thanks for the reminder! I need another cheapo teflon pan for the cabin. I keep forgetting. Must be from all that teflon I ate off the old one!
    No really, I;wm fi ne..

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Must be from all that teflon I ate off the old one!
    No really, I;wm fi ne..

You mean that wasn’t pepper in the potatoes? jester
    I need to replace some of mine too.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ll be making a chuck roast and veggies in mine tonight. It’s my workhorse for stews, roasts, chili, soup, frying.

I don’t think it’s possible to wear a LaCruscet out, but we’re giving it our best shot. I would suppose of the 2 sizes I have, I use one or the other every week of the year at least once. Fantastic cookware.

TheFamousGrouse wrote:
    No need to be sanding, buffing, waxing, oiling, massaging, etc, etc, etc.

Some guys like the foreplay…

Sanding, Ralph? I mean, I’ve heard some like it rough, but…

Yes, there’s just no way to replicate that ol’ fish carryover effect.

Jimmy Jones

Cast iron in tough shape can be sand blasted to bring it back around, and then re-seasoned. I did that to an old, old dutch oven and its been a favorite for doing roasts ever since.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I picked up a cheapo T-Fail this afternoon. Good for cabin use and quick meals. Mostly used for eggs. We have a hodge podge of pans up there including cast iron.

tswoboda

Cast iron in tough shape can be sand blasted to bring it back around, and then re-seasoned. I did that to an old, old dutch oven and its been a favorite for doing roasts ever since.

Throw it in the oven and put it through a self-clean cycle. Comes out looking like new!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Throw it in the oven and put it through a self-clean cycle. Comes out looking like new!

Then re-season or it’s good to go?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

The self-clean truck works well. Definitely will have to re-season afterwards, but cooking is the best way to season.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>

Then re-season or it’s good to go?

Definitely need to re-season after that. It’s the nuclear option to strip the pan right down to bare metal.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i used to have alot of respect for you guys!!!!! whistling doah intil you said cooking a steak in a frying pan!!!!!!!!! bawling bawling rotflol rotflol rotflol

BigWerm
    SW Metro

intil you said cooking a steak in a frying pan!!!

Umm unless us, Gordon Ramsey and Alton Brown are wrong… moon rotflol But seriously that is the best way to get a good crust and medium rare (or whatever you like) interior.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

We pan fry steaks in the winter when grilling is a pain. Actually we prefer it for chuckeyes. Oops, did I just mention chuckeyes? There’s no such thing as a chuckeye. Forget I said that.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Only time it’s a pain to grill are days in like this or in a blizzard!; It isn’t a lot of fun in rain either but I grill A LOT!!!

WAS just stirrin the pot a bit! devil whistling

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

But ya gotta remember Glenn doesn’t like anything with a sear..lol. So what are you guys cooking over? My cast irons are always over charcoal, they take a beating. Can the carbon steel hold up?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

But ya gotta remember Glenn doesn’t like anything with a sear..lol. So what are you guys cooking over? My cast irons are always over charcoal, they take a beating. Can the carbon steel hold up?

rotflol your right I don’t like burnt meat!; whistling

tswoboda

Can the carbon steel hold up?

They’re both just hunks of metal, so yeah. The good ones with thick steel are fine over fire, and the cheap thin ones will warp.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Picked up a MATFER BLACK STEEL FRY PAN, and just seasoned it. Interesting process, I’d guess the potato skins are for the starch?

Attachments:
    1. E8A1F078-0F1D-4DBC-BBBE-C746B19FD2A1.png

Tony Throne

Does anyone know why a lot of my cast iron skillets get this black crusty buildup on the bottoms? What is it , how do I prevent it from happening, and more importantly, what is a good way to get rid of it. They all seem to still be cooking fine, they just leave black marks in my sink, and the crusty stuff probably doesn’t help with heat distribution.

Jimmy Jones

If its on the outside and on the bottom of the pan I’d take a wire brush in a drill and remove it. Being on the outside its not going to mess with the seasoning on the inside.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.