Anyone fishing Cass here on IDO?

• Justin Schneider (Woods & Water Insurance)
    Participant
    Hugo, MN

Hey Turk,

I fished it last year for a week when the MWC was up there.

This was my first time fishing Cass, but I had a blast and plan to fish it for another week this fall when the MWC returns.

Cass is such a fun lake to fish and is a riggers paradise. The structure in that lake is just incredible.

gonecribbin
    Participant
    reads landing MN

Quote:

Hey Turk,

I fished it last year for week when the MWC was up there.

This was my first time fishing Cass, but I had a blast and plan to fish it for another week this fall for the MWC returns.

Cass is such a fun lake to fish and is a riggers paradise. The structure in that lake is incredible as well.

Im in the same boat as Justin, last years mwc was my first time at Cass.
    Spent $300 on minnows in 1 week, I love that style of fishing, Ive tried it on other lakes with less results.

Heck I want to go back just for the pike and muskie.

We are bringing the whole family this year, I think the kids are going to love it.

If I was going to buy a cabin on a lake, Id probably start looking at Cass. Cant wait to get back there
    See ya there Justin

dhiggins
    Participant
    Brooklyn Park, MN

My grandmother has a place on the north shore so I fish Cass a dozen times a year. On opener the walleyes were on steep shoreline breaks near spawning areas in 9′-20′ deep. 1/8th oz jig and spot tail shiner walked slowly down the break early morning and late evening got my two brothers and I our limits. A few jumbos mixed in as well. Night shallow trolling bite should pick up soon. Had to move around to find an active school as most of the spring hotspots had only scattered fish biting very light. Mid lake structure should start holding more fish in a week or two. I will post some pics when I get home.

dhiggins
    Participant
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Here are some of the walleyes we got into on opener. Fish ranged from 15″ to 19″.

minnesota_tom
    Participant
    Grand Meadow, MN

We have been going up to Cass every fall for probably 20 years. We used to stay at Anglers Beach, but since they sold the resort and the new owners levelled it, we go to Birch Villa. Nice place and nice people. I like fishing walleyes and gators, but FW just loves Perch fishing so we do a lot of that. Nothing more fun than getting into a school of jumbos in the fall. I can’t wait to get up there again. No secrets here, one of my favorite perch spots is west of Cedar in about 8-10 fow. Works every time.

dougie
    Participant
    Sobieski,Wi

Will be up there Saturday can’t wait. We mostly fish the north shore. We stay @ Wishbone.

minnesota_tom
    Participant
    Grand Meadow, MN

Dougie, Let us know how you do. I’m always interested to hear anything about Cass Lake. Thanks, Tom

yooper2
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

I am headed to Cass on Saturday and will be fishing for the week. I will post a report when I return. If anyone has current water temps for Cass and Kitchi it would be greatly appreciated.

dougie
    Participant
    Sobieski,Wi

Wind ,wind and more wind thats how the week started. Sunday we got into a bunch of jumbos off of O’neils.For the week we got lots of Walleyes but they were small (12 to 15 inchers). We did get some 16 to 18 inchers. One guy fishing a leech got a 48inch Musky Thursday we found perch off of Cedar Island. It was great being up there again now I have to wait until September.
    Doug

yooper2
    Participant
    SW Wisconsin

Along with the wind was multiple cold fronts. I fished mostly Kitchi Saturday – Saturday with a group of 4 and it took most of the week to manage a limit of walleyes. Most were 15-17″ with a couple 18-20″. We didn’t catch any really big eyes this year. Most fish were caught in 8-12′ using leeches under slip bobbers. When it warmed up on Thurday and Friday we picked a couple of eyes trolling spinners. Managed one limit of Perch from O’Neils point once the wind laid down.

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Participant
    Hudson Wisconsin

Love the technique of dragging minnows on jigs down a steep breakline!

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Participant
    Hudson Wisconsin

Thanks for the replays guys! The one thing I find different about Cass is in the morning there never seems to be a pile of boats in any one spot…seems to me there are no real daytime community holes?? Unless they are on the north end I stay mainly in SW end. Now at night you can see the community spots pretty easy….

walleyebuster5
    Participant
    Central MN

Good posts guys! I too love Cass Lake. From 2005-2009 we took our week vacation and stayed at Break on the Lake and had a blast. The past few years we’ve tried other lakes for the week but I’m heading back to Cass for the week of the 4th this year. Staying at Norway Beach Resort. Looks like a cool place and I’m excited to get back to Cass. I can only assume the daytime bite will be tough but hoping to lay into a few walleyes trolling the bars at dark. I’ll surely post a report afterwards. ANyone have any expierence with Norway Beach RESORT?

minnesota_tom
    Participant
    Grand Meadow, MN

One of our sons, Greg and family are at Cass now. They are staying at Cass Lake Lodge. They have been there since Saturday and will stay for the week. Greg said that on his very first pass, they got three nice walleys and things have not let up yet. They are perch fishing in the days and pulling Rapalas in 6-12 FOW in the evenings for Walleyes. All he told me about what he was using was “My trusty old blue Rap and a medium diving orange.” Hope it stays that way as we leave on the 17th for our anual trip. Can’t wait. He didn’t say exactly where he was fishing, but I do know that he likes to fish the west side of the lake.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.