Canned venison

• buck-slayer

Wondering what they shelf life is. Have some that I made in November of 2020

klang

It should be fine

tornadochaser

Properly sealed and stored in stable temperature/humidity…short answer, it’s fine. Long answer, over time there might be some loss of flavor, vitamins/nutrients, and the meat might get mushy/change color, but properly canned meat lasts a long long time.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Properly sealed and stored in stable temperature/humidity…short answer, it’s fine. Long answer, over time there might be some loss of flavor, vitamins/nutrients, and the meat might get mushy/change color, but properly canned meat lasts a long long time.

X2

robby
    Quad Cities

Question from this dummy. Do you cook the meat before you can it? I know it is ready to eat out of the jar, but do not know how it is prepared. For the record, I do not can ANYTHING. My family did not can anything, so I am completely ignorant. Yep, that sums it up.

buck-slayer

I put rare venison, potato’s, and baby carrots in jar. Then that is pressure cooked for like 45 minutes. It looks like a science project in the jar when done but meat is very tender and is a fast meal heated up on microwave.

klang

I put raw venison, 1 beef bullion cube, fill up to almost full with water, cook for 1/12 hrs. Tender, fast meal

buck-slayer

I put raw venison, 1 beef bullion cube, fill up to almost full with water, cook for 1/12 hrs. Tender, fast meal

Always read that you shouldn’t add water. It makes its own. Think by adding as much water as your doing would burst the jars in the pressure cooker. The liquid in my jars when finished goes almost half way up a qt jar.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

I put rare venison, potato’s, and baby carrots in jar. Then that is pressure cooked for like 45 minutes. It looks like a science project in the jar when done but meat is very tender and is a fast meal heated up on microwave.

I’m not saying 45 minutes has not worked for you but you have to be extremely cautious when canning. I would use this to determine your canning times. Most red meat is at least 60 mins or longer depending on the jar size.
    https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/publications_usda.html

robby
    Quad Cities

Thanks all. I like canned meat, just never made it.

AK Guy

Not meat, but my wife cans a lot of salmon. It’s good for a couple of years.

buck-slayer

My grandma used to can salmon and that looks a lot worse in the jar then the venison.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I remember this being discussed several years ago. One recommendation by several individuals was to add a little beef tallow to each jar?

picklerick
    Central WI

The Ball jar folks Complete Book of Home Preserving recommends browning meat in a skillet of oven, but keep it rare inside. Pack meat into hot jars and top with hot broth to within 1″ of the top. Pressure can at #10 for 75min for pints and 90min for quarts. I just started canning last year and haven’t canned meat yet but I would think the browning would make a difference to the flavor. The canned venison I’ve had in the past was good but really salty, so I’m betting they used bullion cubes or tons of salt. Pressure canning itself preserves the meat and salt isn’t necessary.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.