Canadian Brook Trout Trip Report

• kwp
    Eden Prairie

The world record Brook trout is 14.5 lbs. and was caught in the Nipigon River, Ontario in 1915 by Dr. JW Cook on a minnow. It’s no secret Canada is home to the biggest and baddest Brook Trout in the world. Bar none.

The river chosen for our 2017 Canadian Brook trout trip was massive by any Midwest standards. Using Native guides and 40 hp outboards was the only way this river could be run and fished. The size and speed of this river was intimidating with its massive boulders the size of full size pickup trucks and current speeds approaching 15 mph in some rapids. Fishing it was even more challenging. Think of this river as pool 2 on massive steroid overdose.

One of our challenges was finding where we were going to find these fish in such a huge river. First, we had to identify the rapids they were feeding in and then what part of the rapids they were in – basically the spot on the spot. Most of the bigger trout were located at the very bottom end of tail outs immediately above major rapids. This was where the current was the fastest producing the best feeding lanes for huge trout. Another prime location were selective slicks behind huge boulders.

Many Trout were caught on this trip but equally as many were lost – especially the bigger ones. It was very difficult to hold and fight these brutes in the massive current. Our biggest fish were up to 23″ pushing 5 lbs.

Our Trout were caught using spinning gear on 1/2 to 3/4 oz. spoons and no. 15 Panther Martin spinners. We tried fly fishing but the massive size of the river with its varying current speeds plus 30 mph winds made fly fishing extremely difficult.

Our goal was to catch a PB 24″ Brook trout on this trip which we fell about an inch short of – which is a massive Brook trout even by Canadian standards. Oh well, we will have to try again in 2018 I guess.

Looking forward to next year. Hopefully, to catch that elusive 24″ Canadian Brook trout.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2781.jpg

2. IMG_2742.jpg

3. IMG_2784.jpg

4. IMG_2783.jpg

5. IMG_2788.jpg

6. IMG_2765.jpg

7. IMG_2791.jpg

8. IMG_2754.jpg

bigpike

Awesome fish, great report. Thanks for sharing!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Unbelievable. Super jealous. Those fall males are incredible.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Stunning. Awesome!! Congrats Kendall.

SR

Timmy

The most revered fish on my list…… Wild brookies. Awesome!

It may be taboo to ask, but did you enjoy any for an evening meal? I have had them on Nipigon, and they are stellar.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

My biggest fish for the trip at 23″. The big males would likely be in full color by mid September. There were a couple more of these nice males I wish I had landed. Not easy to keep these guys hooked in heavy current. I guess that’s why they call it fishing.

Tried a token amount of fly fishing but the fish just weren’t in the most fly friendly water. Two guides $ two fisherman in the boat also makes it a little crowded as almost all of the fishing was done from the boat. June would have been a better month.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0884.jpg

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Awesome to say the least !

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I should mention there were some walleye spots where we kept a few for shore lunch. Nice average size around 19″ or so. Fishwise, we only ate walleyes.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Here are a few more pictures…

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2691.jpg

2. IMG_2577.jpg

3. IMG_2782.jpg

4. IMG_2771.jpg

5. IMG_2653.jpg

6. IMG_2717.jpg

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.