Canada Trip Advice Needed

• icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

Good evening friends,

I’ve got a bit of a quandary on my hands and I’m looking for some experienced folks, such as yourselves, to help guide me in a good direction.

The problem: I’m trying to plan a trip to Canada next spring/early summer 2nd week of June. Would like to find a drive-able destination with a great reputation for walleyes in the spring. I would like to stick to Ontario within about 5 hours from the MN border. Would like to do a plan where we do our own cooking, cleaning etc. no guiding necessary. Looking to get a cabin with room for 4-6 people. Being cheap is not the foremost priority, just would like the outfitter to be reasonable.

The group I’m assembling is ambitious and willing to try a variety of things, just the task of deciding a spot with no first hand knowledge is a bit daunting with all of the great walleye waters of Ontario. Have a boat equipped with the necessities able to handle bigger water (17.5 alum with 90 hp merc) electronics, maps the whole deal. Not particularly interested in doing a LOTW trip.

Keeping this in mind I’ll open it up, what lake locations would you suggest and any particular outfitters for that time of year? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone!

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Lac Seul… The best walleye waters of Canada’s fantastic walleye waters. It’s over a 100 miles long and is wonderful water no matter the area you choose to persue them. I’ve had friends fish the west near Ear Falls and fished the middle and other friends fish the east side out of Souix Lookout.

I’ve used two outfitters, Silver Water Wheel, 100% service oriented deal and worth the considerable expense.

Then we’ve stayed at Mahkwa lodge the last two summers. All of our trips centered around the 3rd week in July, so choosing locations would be entirely different from our trips, but any outfitter up there is going to know the best shallow waters to put ya on!!! I would assume anything with current and the whole thing should have current, it is a big resevoir after all…

I can try to answer any other questions for ya, but we packed too much food, had 100 walley days, ate walleye every night and could’ve during the day too if we’d wanted.

Mark

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

With a friend and his son last July, went to Ghost River
    resort on Marchington chain, NE of Sioux Lookout about 25 miles.
    You meet resort at a public
    ramp, and they take you on a 24 foot resort boat, thru
    two lakes, and 100 yard portage by tractor and trailer for
    your gear, to their resort, 1 main, and second smaller secondary
    resort. Use their 14-16 alum boats and motors. Nice cabins.
    Real remote experience. 14 connected lakes, lots of waterfalls.
    They are only resort on whole chain. Some lakes they encourage
    catch and release, others regular limit possession. They encourage
    the conservation license by paying it for you.
    Jack

cheers

No advise on resorts but for a destination area you cant go wrong with Lac Suel If possible cross border mid week to avoid lineups at border OR consider crossing on weekends at Baudett/Rainy River

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If you want 2nd week in june you better book this week before everybody is full.

Ron S

Lake St Joe is an excellent option.

Look up Old Post.its an old Hudson Bay trading post turned fishing camp/resort. Many options fish all day seldom see anyone else out there. Lots of Walleyes and big northerns. Use their boats then there is no problem with break downs. Just bring your own electronics so you can follow your trail back to camp.

Oh ya bring white twister tails and then some more.

Lynn Seiler

Tom’s Landing on Lac Seul through Anderson’s Lodge. Great accommodations and best walleye fishing I’ve ever experienced. Would go back in a heartbeat. Reserve early!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’d drive to Nestor Falls and hop on one of those float plans parked along 71 and fly in. No need to drag a boat – 30 minute flight and you are on a lake by yourself.

I’ve flown out of NW Charters a few times but there is another outfit in town there that’s supposed to be good. We fly 3-4 guys in and it’s $750/guy for Wed-Sun. Probably cost you a grand per guy which is usually less than a resort.

DanM57

Our group has been going to Anderson’s Manitou Falls Camp on English River west of Ear Falls for 30+ years. Camp is adequate and the fishing is outstanding. It is an easy 10 hour drive from the Twin Cities. DanM

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Good advice so far. If it were me, I’d be looking at Lac Seul or doing a fly-in. The fly-in doesn’t cost as much as you’d think if you are doing your own cooking and cleaning. And yes, book early.

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

Thanks for all of the information guys, I got the one time chance to stay at mahkwa lodge last year on Lac Seul and it was incredible but cannot get in there whatsoever in June. Tried really hard though. I’ll be looking into the places mentioned. Any others I should know about? I really appreciate the responses.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I went Here years ago, looks like anew cabin on Dominion, that’s where we went. Drive to and your the only ones on the lake… Would do it again someday.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Give Five Lakes Lodge a try. They are on Gullrock lake, just south of Red Lake. Great walleye fishing and big northern too. They are probably filled up for that week, but I’d give them a call just to be sure.

Ian runs a fabulous camp, and will spend a lot of time with you making sure you are getting on fish.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Lac Seul x 4. Mahkwa is in a great location on this big system, with plenty of islands and land masses to hide behind in windy conditions and still catch fish, and in June, you should have no problem finding fish. We take our 16 foot aluminum boats with 60 to 90 hps. Just be aware that Makwa has a reputation of being a bit slow to respond at times. And if you can’t get in at Mahkwa, there are a couple other camps near there also run by the First Nation you can check out.
    You can take a look thru the IDO Canadian lakes forum to read thru a few of the detailed discussions some of us had had about this part of Lac Seul.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.