Can I run 2 transducers on the back of a boat?

• Hawken Ewing

I have 3 humminbird units on my boat, one is one the front with a trolling motor mounted transducer. Then I have an old transducer on the back that came with the boat. It was attached to a humminbird 788 ci so I assume its the one that came with the unit. But I want to put a mega side imaging transducer on the back as well, since it’ll be used mostly for side and down imaging so I don’t think the interfere will be to bad but how far or close together can I put them. Can they be right next to each other. Cause from my understanding a transducer has to be put on one side of the transom.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

You can put one on each side of the transom. I have 2 on one side and one on the other side. Use transducer mounting boards so you can adjust the location of the transducers and minimize the number of holes in the transom.

David G

I have two mounted on the transom of my boat. One on each side. One is for my Humminbird Mega side/down, the other is Lowrance. No troubles.

castle-rock-clown

Well, ice fishermen sometimes encounter interference when transducers pick up the return from a different transducer operating close by like 2 guys in an ice shelter. Mounting isn’t the issue, but when operating both transom transducers switch the heads off alternately an see if return changes. If change occurs, your picking up the others sonar signal. Sometimes the display will look staticky with interference.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I have two mounted on the transom of my boat. One on each side. One is for my Humminbird side and down imaging and the other one is for my high speed. Both transducers on the back go to the same unit. I don’t think you will have problem if they are on opposite sides.

Karry Kyllo

You can mount SI/DI and high speed transducers side by side on the same side of the boat without any problems. When they both transducers use the same frequency is when you may experience interference.
    I have a Helix 12 and I’ve been running a SI/DI transducer right beside a high speed 2D transducer for a while now and it works perfectly fine. I use a splitter cable to run them both into the display.
    The main thing to remember when installing them side by side is to mount the SI/DI transducer slightly lower than the 2D transducer to eliminate the the 2D transducer from blocking the SI/DI signal.
    On my boat, it worked well to mount the SI/DI transducer inside of the 2D transducer. Using the V shaped bottom of the boat, even though my SI/DI transducer is mounted slightly higher than the bottom of the transom. Because it is mounted inside of the 2D transducer where the V shape of the bottom of the boat is lower, even though it is mounted slightly above the bottom of the transom, the SI/DI transducer is still below the 2D transducer which is mounted just slightly below the transom and signal blockage is eliminated.

Karry Kyllo

Here’s how I have mine mounted.

Attachments:
    1. 1121180655b.jpg

HMoshier

Running two MSI transducers to one unit and a thru-hull 2D for depth readings on plane. Some interference in 2D but not bad.

Attachments:
    1. 20DCF76D-F169-4D44-ABB4-7301E33E7664-scaled.jpeg

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.