Campgrounds near island/boulder lake (Duluth)

• poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Anyone know of a campground near the island lake area that is open (weekend/long weekend tent camo with electric)? Have stayed at the forest service campground in whiteface before but looking for something closer to island/boulder)wild rice area without much success.

Saw one over by the 53/33 interchange which wouldn’t be that bad, but surprised I’m not seeing anything right on any of those lakes. I’ve got a place to stay if my wife and I go but that is not an option if a buddy or two and I go up there (family only on that option).

Jeff Gilberg

Not much for public campgrounds there, real estate is too expensive, the mom and pop places went out of business years ago

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Looks like some, not sure on amenities.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20200603-061620_Maps.jpg

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Haven’t tried calling island lake campground but heard third person it’s closed. Other ones are sites to pull up on the cloquet, not going to work for our plan. Was going to check the silver Fox on boulder, but since we just got hail last night, I can pretty much cancel any plans the rest of the building season.

Gitchi Gummi

If you are open to camping on an island, there are plenty of awesome campsites on the reservoir chain of lakes in Duluth. Obviously not ideal if you are looking for a camper spot or electricity, but definitely an alternative. Obviously a boat is needed to access these sites. Pretty nice campsites too and you are all by yourself/spread out from other sites and not on top of each other like a drive in camping spot. If you want more info on these campsites, message me.

Hi-banks in duluth has a campground but I’m not sure if they offer tent spots. Its more of an RV/camper type place.

Gitchi Gummi

Here are the Fish, Island and Boulder Lake campsites. I’ve stayed at several of these before and all that I have stayed at have a fire grate, latrine, and at least one or two good tent pads and several good spots for hanging hammocks.
    I believe some of the Boulder lake sites are able to be accessed by foot via parking at the ski trail trail heads/parking areas and walking in. There is a cluster of 5 campsites on the north end of Boulder that are walk in access via Buzz Ryan Woods Rd. There is also a cluster of 10 walk in sites accessible via the South Trail head parking lot on the southern tip of the lake. The walk in sites are much closer together than the boat in sites. It is a relatively short hike to these sits via the ski trail.

These are all first come first served – no reservation system – and are free.

Attachments:
    1. Boulder-Lake-campsites.jpg

2. Island-Lake-campsites.jpg

3. Fish-Lake-campsites.jpg

Gitchi Gummi

Also, I’d give the Silver Fox campground a call. They are located on the south east end of Boulder Lake. I have only accessed Boulder from there in the winter, but I know it is a campground. I believe it is more of a camper/RV style campground but they very well could have spots for you to put up a tent.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Jake is spot on regarding the Island Lake campsites. They are excellent, a nice get away too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.