Cameras for Action Video while Hunting/Fishing

• carroll58
    Participant
    Twin Cities, USA

What is the Brand and Specs on your GoPro/Action Type Camera?
    Go Pro, Action Cam, Etc.?
    Video quality?
    Photo quality?
    Type of SD Card, etc?
    Cable Connections?
    Accessories?
    Other Spec’s?

Looking at Adding Video of Hook Sets and other Fishing shots this season.
    Seen a Facebook Ad for ActionCam on a BOGO offer, yet I can get a better Quality one at Wal-MART for less with all the Accessories vs 2 lower quality online for $100.

Michael C. Winther
    Participant
    Reedsburg, WI

At first blush, the ActionCams seem to offer the same features as a GoPro in terms of resolution, frames per second, etc., for substantially less money. However, once you start making videos, you’ll discover that there is a huge difference in the lens quality, leading to the ActionCam video being less clear than the GoPros, and doing especially poor in lower light conditions.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have been pretty happy with GoPro. They aren’t perfect abut they are pretty good. Can’t zoom in until the editing process, the newer ones have a display on the back so you don’t have to connect to the app on your phone to see if what you’re shooting is actually in frame. If you go to the GoPro web page, you will be able to find info on recommended SD cards for each camera (make sure you buy the right kind or your footage will be corrupted), charger recommendations, accessories etc. I get all my accessories and mounts on amazon for about half the price of GoPro accessories FYI.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Mahtofire, how on the app are you able to tell what the current display looks like? I was just guessing the first (and last) time i tried filming

Michael C. Winther
    Participant
    Reedsburg, WI

If you connect your GoPro to your phone via Bluetooth and WiFi (needs both for previewing) then the image from the camera will display in the app – very handy for aiming. Once it’s running I disconnect WiFi (leave Bluetooth connected), as the WiFi eats battery pretty fast. It needs to be a Hero4 or newer for that feature.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/How-to-Pair-the-Camera-with-the-GoPro-App

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

Yep, just as Michael said. Sorry haven’t been on the site for a while. GoPros actually can generate their own wifi, so you turn the wifi on, go into your phone’s wifi connections and you will see a gopro wifi (or something similar) pop up. Then you click on it and connect, go back into the gopro app and you can get a live feed of what your shooting, or basically use your phone as a remote control for the camera. But again, as Michael says, this will drain the battery in no time so most people just use it to make sure they are capturing what they want before they record.

Randy Wieland
    Participant
    Lebanon. WI

We’ve tried a lot of cameras over the last few years on pdog shoots, predator hunting, and other shooting events. Just echoing what’s already been about clarity. With most specs being equal, there is no substitution for good glass. JVC, CANNON, AND GO PRO have been superior for crisp clear shots. When reviewing video in slow motion, it amazing how clear a vapor trail is. Other cameras we’ve tried just don’t have the quality.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.