Any Info on Calamus?

• jebb-hatch
    Kearney, Nebraska

I am taking the family camping this weekend at Calamus and was wondering if anyone has been up there lately or has any advise on how to boat a few eyes this weekend. I have only been there once before and don’t know the lake very well, so any info would be helpful.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Hopefully the fishing turns on for you. There was a group of 10 guys or so that went there for 4 days a week and a half ago. They caught 4 fish total. Good luck. Sorry, but I have no tips to give you.

JD

boos1906

I heard they hammered them there saturday. But then again I think they hammered them everywhere saturday. I heard great reports from this weekend and I know I had a great weekend.

djorg
    Central City, NE

The trolling bite is on!! Find breaks from 14 to 30 fow. Our success came on Berkley Flicker Shads pulled on 150 ft of 12 lb Fireline. Lots of snags so buy stock in Berkley.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Quote:

The trolling bite is on!! Find breaks from 14 to 30 fow. Our success came on Berkley Flicker Shads pulled on 150 ft of 12 lb Fireline. Lots of snags so buy stock in Berkley.

Good thing Flicker Shad’s are cheap

djorg
    Central City, NE

Zac, know anywhere close that still carries a good supply of Flicker Shads? I was at the Boat Dock and I have exhausted their stock of my hot colors.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I was just up at a Fleet Farm and they had hardly any Flickers! They were priced at $3.49.

I’m curious, Jorg….what are they priced at the Dock?

layne-monroe
    Lincoln, Ne

“Good thing flicker shad’s are cheap.” …. they used to be cheap when they first came out Zach now they are up to 3.99 (which is not a bad price for a crank) but 1.99 was definetely better. I know BP and Cabelas stopped carrying them and Scheels here in Lincoln just got the last ones they are going to get in about 3 weeks ago and only 2 colors at that. They are going on ebay from $4-$5. Good luck finding any “cheap” flicker shads anymore. If anyone knows where a guy can still pick up some flicker shads at that price of $3.49 let me know so I can arrange to get some. Thanks,

Layne Monroe

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Quote:

Zac, know anywhere close that still carries a good supply of Flicker Shads? I was at the Boat Dock and I have exhausted their stock of my hot colors.

Did you ask Doug if he could still get you some? I know the last time I needed some he hooked me right up

Guess I haven’t needed to buy any yet this year. I think I was kind of thinking along the same lines as Ben when they were cheap How many 100’s of un-opened F.S.’s do you have Ben

Give Doug a shout at The Boat Dock and he may be able to get you a good deal on F.S.’s.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I wouldn’t say my supply is low yet, but after this year I deffinately put a dent in them. I’m completely out of one particular color in a certain size. I don’t think I’ll spill the details as it has been an awfully hot color on several waters.

I’ve heard that Berkley is even out right now. THey are awaiting a rather large shipment from China sometime in early July. I hope this is true.

djorg
    Central City, NE

I made a small order from Berkley this evening and hope that they are able to come through.

It is amazing how a couple of years ago I would only pull glass shad raps xnd now that box doesn’t get opened.

Brian, I think I paid $4.99 each. I guess that it really doesn’t matter, you still but what you think that you need.

djorg
    Central City, NE

I’m still on a very shallow water bite at Sherman and haven’t pulled a crank there yet this year. That’s not to say that maybe when the water leaves the willows that I won’t be putting the 9.9 around on Sherman. A couple of years ago the purple glass shad rap was the hottest thing going. Now it seems to be Flicker Shads in some real different colors.

shermanator
    Nebraska

Jorg- We might be fishing those willows for a while if these rains keep coming.

djorg
    Central City, NE

I hope so; I just got home and it took us a total of one hour to limit the two of us out. Such nice fish in such shallow water.

Going to pull cranks at Calamus on Sunday. Won’t be in the Crestliner but rather the big Lund Pro V.

jebb-hatch
    Kearney, Nebraska

Just wanted to say thanks to everybody that gave me some tips on the Calamus walleye. Hope we are able to catch a few this weekend.

Be safe and good luck to everybody heading out this weekend.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Good luck!!

jebb-hatch
    Kearney, Nebraska

Had a great time at Calamus last weekend, and even caught a few fish. We didn’t catch a tone of walleye but did manage to boat a nice 28.5″ and weighed 8.6 lbs. In between walleye the white bass kept us busy as well as a nice wiper and a northern pike.

Blue seemed to be the best color for the walleye. And by the way the Homestead bait shop had some Flicker Shad for $2.99. Not much of a selection but a pretty good price.

Thanks again for everybodys help. Flatwalter your advice put us on fish right away.

I will try to get some pictures up, but having a problem down loading from my camera right now.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Thanks for the info Jebb Sounds like you had a great time!!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.