BWCA Trip out of Poplar Lake

• Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

Howdy, IDO! I recently booked a trip with my dad and sister to the Boundary Waters for July 16-21. We will be entering through Poplar Lake/Lizz and Swamp lakes. I’ve never been to this area before. Would somebody be able to give some advice on which lakes would be good for fishing walleyes/smallies, and maybe some campsite advice? I have heard that Gaskin and Winchill are tough lakes because they are pretty clear. Anything helps! Thanks!

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

I wish I had some better area info for you Hornster, but I don’t get over to the Gunflint side very often at all. The lakes on that side are typical to the Knife Lake Region in that they are generally deeper, clear, with very little weed growth. During the day you could be looking at fishing in 30 feet of water off points, reefs and sunken islands for walleye and bass, with some bass being found near the shoreline around fallen trees or around boulders. Rippin raps in white, crawfish, and firetiger in size #5’s and #6’s can be a good way of pulling up some nice fish in any depth you find them. TDD 20 Raps are another staple for finding fish, after which you can jig the area thoroughly once you’ve found them. Jigging Trigger X tubes or leeches can be deadly when you’re on the fish. The Trigger X aggression minnows have been killing the bass that have been hanging out shallow. Hope this helps some.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.