Burntside lake

• Splakeshaker
    Participant

Wondering if anyone has been out to check ice conditions. Trout opener is getting close and I should figure out if bside is gonna be safe for snowmobile travel. This year has been nerve racking. Lol

Ben Putnam
    Participant
    Saint Paul, MN

It will be safe for snowmobile travel, possibly even trucks. If we don’t get the forecasted snow this week, it’s going to be pretty bare out there.

Splakeshaker
    Participant

It will be safe for snowmobile travel, possibly even trucks. If we don’t get the forecasted snow this week, it’s going to be pretty bare out there.

Glad to hear that. Thanks

Lakerchaser
    Participant

I have a buddy who works with someone that has a cabin on the lake. That guy was there over the weekend and reported 2″ in a lot of places. I see Steve Foss had on his FB page 4-5″ in places he checked. I too am hoping there is enough ice for sleds come opener. Not sure what I’d do if there wasn’t!

Ben Putnam
    Participant
    Saint Paul, MN

The sub zero temps we will be seeing this weekend will have that lake booming like a warzone with new ice!

Lakerchaser
    Participant

That’s good! Hoping for a solid 7+” if we’re lucky. I’ve only fished it for 3 years running now, but have never had a year where there wasn’t a foot by opener. Are there a lot of areas to avoid on the main lake? Or in general is it alright? I’ve always heard the north portion can get sketchy. I usually head west of the access around that first pinch point, then head up north and west again.

Every year I ask the baitshop about areas to avoid, but it’s never been specific.

Ben Putnam
    Participant
    Saint Paul, MN

That’s because there are too many areas to avoid. The north side gets really slushy in spots due to the current in the pinches keeping the ice thinner than the rest of the lake. Anywhere that narrows, between islands etc, has current and should be dealt with cautiously. If you don’t know the lake and its hazards, sticking to any plowed roads or main basins is advised, all other travel is at your own risk.

Moonboots
    Participant
    Iron Range

Heard slowbank has 7-9 burntside prob the same. Hope to have enough ice to drag the 18 foot wheelhouse out with the truck Friday. Should be a zoo out there as usual on the opener lol!

Moonboots
    Participant
    Iron Range

Northside always has bad ice plus the fishing is slow that way.

Lakerchaser
    Participant

I’ll feel more comfortable if people are out there in vehicles! I’ll only be on a sled, so I’m hoping most areas will be alright for that! Never had the need to visit snowbank, as burntside has always been good to me!

Moonboots
    Participant
    Iron Range

Heard bside had 10-13 inches as of this morning.

Lakerchaser
    Participant

Thanks for the update! That’s a decent amount of ice. If anyone else has an update tomorrow or friday and is willing to post it, it’d be appreciated! Anyone know if the snowmobile trail is marked yet across the lake?

Mike Stark
    Participant
    Ely, MN

I checked off the Van Vac landing yesterday and found 6-9″ of ice. It varies a lot out there. Wouldn’t be surprised if there are areas with less ice.

Gary M
    Participant

Thanks Mike,
    How Much snow do you have on the lakes

Mike Stark
    Participant
    Ely, MN

2-4″ of snow where I checked. Probably more back in the bays or in between the islands.

Moonboots
    Participant
    Iron Range

Van vac only has 6-9 Mike? West end had 10-13 according to a buddy. He may coulda been drinking while reading his tape lol.

Ben Putnam
    Participant
    Saint Paul, MN

West end may likely have more ice in some areas if it froze before the main basins locked up. There is by no means a steady path of 12″ anywhere on the lake from public access to my knowledge. It would be safe to assume Mike’s measurements are the most accurate to the ice thickness one would expect to find if they ventured from public access today.

Moonboots
    Participant
    Iron Range

Found anywhere from 6-10 on burntside no trucks or wheelhouse today at least.

Moonboots
    Participant
    Iron Range

Here’s what I found in the stomach of snowbank lake trout! Looks like smelt on the right and gravel n mush on the right! Snowbank don’t have smelt I thought? Looks like slowbank has smelt!

Attachments:
    1. image20.jpg

Moonboots
    Participant
    Iron Range

Here’s a 26 inch dink from Ojibwa lake.

Attachments:
    1. image21.jpg

Ben Putnam
    Participant
    Saint Paul, MN

Those are young ciscos

Lakerchaser
    Participant

How is the slush situation on Burntside? Heading up this weekend.

Ben Putnam
    Participant
    Saint Paul, MN

It isn’t too bad, the worst conditions are on south shorelines and on the south east sides of the islands where the snow either didn’t blow from, or where it was blown to. Truck traffic is really restricted because of the conditions as there are no plowed roads yet this year.

Lakerchaser
    Participant

Perfect. I’ll be on a sled, so it sounds like it shouldn’t be a problem. Thanks!

Gary M
    Participant

How much snow is on the ice ?
    Can you get around with a 4 wheeler ?

Ben Putnam
    Participant
    Saint Paul, MN

In spots you may be fine, the shorelines are the worst for travel but out on the main lake the snow is packed down to only 4-8″. Undisturbed snow can be slushy and anywhere the wind isn’t able to pack or move snow there are deeper drifts and much more slush. I haven’t been seeing many wheelers out so I haven’t had the opportunity to ask how their travel ease has been.

Gary M
    Participant

Ok thanks Ben
    I do have tracks for my atv
    Might give it a try on Friday
    Haven’t decided yet or I might go back to Snowbank depends how I do on Thursday

Ben Putnam
    Participant
    Saint Paul, MN

If you have tracks, you should be fine almost anywhere on Burnt. Snowbank was incredibly slushy on Saturday, hopefully it crisped up some from the overnight lows the past few nights.

Gary M
    Participant

Well made it on Snowbank Thursday hit slush with 4 wheeler first time with tracks on it went through it a little nerveous
    Hooked up with a few lakers but only to come off half way up

Burntside Friday a lot of chasers but no hook ups

Lakerchaser
    Participant

Also was out Friday on Burntside. Our group caught 4, lost another at the hole, and marked a handful more. Other 2 in the group had a wheeler and only got stuck once. Wasn’t easy travel but still got around.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.