Burntside in the fall?

• Justin Karriker
    Participant

Possibly planning a trip to Burntside in the fall of this year. I see its known for its lakers and smallies. What should I expect and what should I prepare for fish wise in say September or early October?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

@Blputnam

This is a question for Ben Putnam. He’s a wealth of knowledge on the lakes in that area. I tagged him in my reply so hopefully he drops in with some info for you.

Ben Putnam
    Participant
    Saint Paul, MN

The summer Lake Trout season closes on Sept 30. The last few weeks of the season are typically some of the best for open water Lakers. Smallmouth are commonly caught on tube jigs, deep cranks and leeches around that time. Burntside is a big lake, and a tough lake to just drive out and expect to catch fish. I would reccomend looking up Steve Foss http://www.fossguide.com to book at least 1 guided trip to get an understanding of how to approach the lake.

Ben Putnam
    Participant
    Saint Paul, MN

Thanks James. I wish I had as much info to share on the lake for the open water season as I do for the ice season.

Justin Karriker
    Participant

Thanks. I saw where Steve Foss hadn’t logged on in a while.

Not stuck on Burntside, just looking for a scenic lake to camp and fish that doesn’t have HP restrictions

Allan Davis
    Participant
    Carlton, MN

Birch is a very good looking lake will nice eyes monster pike and very good panfish. I know it doesn’t have lake trout if that is what you are thinking about. However very good fishing in that lake.

Justin Karriker
    Participant

No. Lake trout weren’t a draw. Just looking for the “northwoods” feel with camping.

Allan Davis
    Participant
    Carlton, MN

plenty of campsites on that lake.

Justin Karriker
    Participant

How about primitive camping? Looking for a boundary waters type experience, but outboard accessable. I know that greatly reduces the draw and opens it up to more people and populated areAs. I know a Boundary waters like experience can only be found there or probably Canada, but just using that to sort of illustrate what I’m looking for.

lundojam
    Participant

http://www.latourells.com/fishing.html
    Parts of the BWCA allow motors. Basswood Lake is second to no lake in MN.
    Give these folks a call and they can help you out with logistics down to the detail. (As can any of the other resorts in that area.)

Allan Davis
    Participant
    Carlton, MN

Birch has a campground but you also have a lot of camping areas on islands and along the shores. I forget how many but its a lot. you can give timber bay lodge a ring and they can help with all the questions you have. 218-827-3682

Ben Putnam
    Participant
    Saint Paul, MN

Alan hit it on Several accounts, there are a TON of resorts and outfitters up here that can help. If you give me a call at 218-235-7960 I can help you figure out who to talk to for what you want to do, when you want to do it. More primitive BWCA feeling sites are all over but if you’re coming up before Oct 1st those options will be limited for many lakes.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.