Burnett County Smallmouth Bass Lakes

• scottaheller
    Participant

Relatively new to the Burnett county area and looking for some smallmouth lakes. Seems like a lot of lakes are full of largemouth and pike but I’m not finding a lot of lakes with smallmouth in them.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Lost
    Participant
    Shafer, MN

You can check the WI DNR Find A Lake page for Burnett lakes with smallies, most look to be in the Webster area:
    https://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/lakepages/Results.aspx?location=7&page=SMBASS&letter=ANY

My family has cabins near Little Wood Lake, and I have never really heard of a smallmouth bite nearby. The only water on the DNR list of smallies I have fished is Yellow/Little Yellow/Yellow River, but there I’m primarily targeting muskies. Haven’t caught an incidental smallmouth there yet.

If you really are seeking smallmouth water, I’d probably start exploring the Croix. You’re just going to have to take it slow and will be limited by water levels unless you are in a kayak or canoe.

toddrun
    Participant

I agree with hitting the St. Croix for Smallies. Its one of the most underrated Smallie fisheries in the midwest. I have caught Smallies in some of the other rivers in Burnett, but none in lakes.

scottaheller
    Participant

I’ve been digging around and agree, not much for smallmouth in this area but I’m definitely going to be spending some time on the St Croix very soon.

scottaheller
    Participant

Big – we have a cabin on bass lake north of Little Yellow lake. Seems we can find largemouth all over in this area but we are missing fighting brownies. The St Croix is only a couple miles away from our place so I’m planning on wading some shoreline when the water warms a bit.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.