Burger & Fries – That will be 38$ Please

• dirk-w.
    Participant
    Minnesota

My wife and I must be getting old and cranky. We walked into 5 Guys Burgers in Woodbury this afternoon and each ordered a burger,fries, and a soda. The nice girl rang it up and with a smile said, “that will be $38.50 please”. I knew she rang it up wrong, but after 10 seconds we determined that was indeed the correct price. I started laughing and said “I’m not paying that for a burger and fries”, and walked out the door. First time for everything. WTH?? I was so stunned – and have been both chuckling and amazed they can charge that (and get it).

MX1825
    Participant

5 Guys is expensive. You only need 1 order of fries though. My wife and I split the small order. The regular cheeseburger is 2 patties. The regular fry is HUGE. So maybe you were going to get more than you expected.
    Like I said in the beginning they are pricey but are very good.

toddrun
    Participant

Took my daughter out for a nice supper after her graduation commencement, she picked the restaurant. First thing I saw on the menu was a 3 oz. Wagyu Steak, the price………$72 WTF???? Or a 20 oz. Porterhouse for $100. I’ll take 2 please…..

TH
    Participant

For that price you would have gotten 2 days worth of calories.

mojo
    Participant

One order of Mac & Cheese with a water including tax & 15% tip is $21.50 at B-52’s. MAC & CHEESE!

dirk-w.
    Participant
    Minnesota

5 Guys is expensive. You only need 1 order of fries though. My wife and I split the small order. The regular cheeseburger is 2 patties. The regular fry is HUGE. So maybe you were going to get more than you expected.
    Like I said in the beginning they are pricey but are very good.

Ok, I’ll remember that if we ever go again. We ended up at Culver’s in Hastings. $18 for the both of us.

jwellsy
    Participant

At Park City Utah ski resort, what used to be a $12 burger is now $25 for just a basic burger, no fries and no drink.

Yesterday at my local box store, NY strips were $16/lb and filets were $25/lb.

Eventually, these will be considered the good old days.
    Rumor has it that hamburger is headed for $50/lb.

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

been there once after hearing how amazing and large the portions of fries were. this was just before covid and ordered a combo that was around $20 and thought hmmmm, i guess its that good? burger was meh and i think i got like 20 fries in a Styrofoam cup.

from now on i just go find a Culvers if i need a burger fix. best chain burger hands down every time. as for 5 guys…..doubt i will be back. you rarely get a second chance to make a first impression.

MX1825
    Participant

eg507
    All I know is the 5G near me gives a cup full of fries and another cup dumped in the bag. Maybe in the TC it is different.

Coletrain27
    Participant

eg507
    All I know is the 5G near me gives a cup full of fries and another cup dumped in the bag. Maybe in the TC it is different.

I’ve been to the one in Rochester 3 times and every time there was enough fries in one order for 3 people

Curt
    Participant

For $38 there should be 2 burgers and enough fries to feed 10 people. Ridiculous. Wife just went to Burger King yesterday, 3 whoppers, 3 medium fries, no drinks…$36. Things are getting nuts. We can afford it, just feel sorry for younger folks with kids. Heck, how can they even afford to take them out for a treat once in awhile?

Dutchboy
    Participant
    Central Mn.

For $38 there should be 2 burgers and enough fries to feed 10 people. Ridiculous. Wife just went to Burger King yesterday, 3 whoppers, 3 medium fries, no drinks…$36. Things are getting nuts. We can afford it, just feel sorry for younger folks with kids. Heck, how can they even afford to take them out for a treat once in awhile?

It’s fast food, we should all be happy they are raising the prices. When we quit eating that stuff we will all live longer. I like the Burger King concept but the burgers seem dried out to me. Maybe it’s just me. As far as McDonalds I go there less and less every year. Not even sure if they use beef in their burgers.

Went to Five Guys twice a few years ago (pre-covid) thought the food was good and their was a bunch of fries in the bag as I recall.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Ok, I’ll remember that if we ever go again. We ended up at Culver’s in Hastings. $18 for the both of us.

Culver’s is pretty solid. It’s about $10 for a value basket which includes a beverage there.

iowa_josh
    Participant

The part that my brain can’t accept is the price of some things is unchanged. And some things are so crazy.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

i personally think its just as cheap to go to a place you can sit down and order then a fast food place. food is generally better too!!!!!!

Reef W
    Participant

The part that my brain can’t accept is the price of some things is unchanged. And some things are so crazy.

Profit records don’t set themselves. You know fast food pricing is mostly BS because Wendys still has the 4 for $4 and $5 Biggie Bag.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

Forget about the prices, I’m not impressed with any fast food burger joint including culvers. Honestly think McDonald’s is better than all of them and McDonald’s isn’t very good. Would it kill culvers to melt the cheese on my cheeseburger just once? Next time you go take notice of the cheese. It’s a cold slice on top of whats often a luke warm burger

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

i havent ate at this red robin in a while but i liked there food. a bit spendy but willing to pay for there burgers cause there good….to me anyway…..and bottomless fries!!!

we just dont eat out much!!!!!

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I went into 5 guys 1 time. Looked at the prices and walked out. No chance I pay those prices and that was precovid so I cannot imagine what they are now.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Mmmm 5 guys is awesome, I have only been 2 times but both times I was happy. Pretty much the same prices at McDonald’s these days. But 5 guys is actually good. I also hate paying crazy prices but that’s why I don’t go often.

Stanley
    Participant

For cheap fast food that’s at least edible, can’t beat Wendy’s $5 biggie bag. Family of 5 for $27.

jwellsy
    Participant

I’ve ate at 3 different Burger Kings in 3 different states and got sick each time. Something about their special sauce doesn’t agree with me. Now, I’d rather go hungry than eat at another BK.

My favorite chain burger used to be Hardies. They used an open flamed grill which beats griddle fried burgers hands down. Unfortunately they closed the ones near me.

Now my favorite chain burger is Portillo’s. They have an open flame grilling process. The indoor seating has cool old memorabilia everywhere and they play ragtime music.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Portillos is good, it’s 10 mins from my house. Big beef sandwich is excellent and good sized.

Anyone ever hit up Happys in Onamia? I like it.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

At Park City Utah ski resort, what used to be a $12 burger is now $25 for just a basic burger, no fries and no drink.

Yesterday at my local box store, NY strips were $16/lb and filets were $25/lb.

Eventually, these will be considered the good old days.
    Rumor has it that hamburger is headed for $50/lb.

Yeah I’m not sure about $50/lb…but those in the market have said hikes are coming and likely permanent.

Clearly not this year, but likely the following spring we may look to add a few steers here. We’ve got 5 acres of the 40 that our house is on that’s a lackluster hay field. I told our leaser this year to just let it go. Even if raising a few head would allow us to eat our beef for “free”, after selling the rest…it’d be worth it with where prices are headed.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

As for chain burger I’d choose Culvers first. It’s decent, not great…but we don’t do fast food often.

I’ll starve before turning into a McDonalds, Wendy’s, BK. My gut just cannot take that stuff anymore.

It is all stupid expensive. Wage rates + food costs = crazy expensive fast food.

Deuces
    Participant

Lil bacon cheeseburger is 9 bucks, just had one, delicious. Certainly enough for any adult. Skipped the fries, but yeah there’s usually a pile in the bottom for 2.

Think they surcharge for one to grab $2 worth of napkins bc everyone I’ve had with the works is a disaster to try and eat.

Jeremy
    Participant
    Richland County, WI

Do they have a loan department?

MX1825
    Participant

My local butcher shop ground beef is $6.99 lb. and bacon is $8.99 lb.
    Expensive but a VERY good products.

tim hurley
    Participant

You would be over 40 for that at Surly with tax and mandatory ‘tip’ (can’t remember what they call it) Sure hit me hard for steak & lobster, but a burger and fries?!

Karry Kyllo
    Participant

My wife and I must be getting old and cranky. We walked into 5 Guys Burgers in Woodbury this afternoon and each ordered a burger,fries, and a soda. The nice girl rang it up and with a smile said, “that will be $38.50 please”. I knew she rang it up wrong, but after 10 seconds we determined that was indeed the correct price. I started laughing and said “I’m not paying that for a burger and fries”, and walked out the door. First time for everything. WTH?? I was so stunned – and have been both chuckling and amazed they can charge that (and get it).

So you just walked out and didn’t pay your bill? You didn’t look at prices prior to ordering? Unexpected high price or not, that’s a crime.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.