Bug Zappers – Do they work?

• BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

We’ve recently upgraded our deck and have a great space out there now but bugs, mainly gnats and black flies, make it unpleasant to spend any amount of time out there. I have a a Stihl foggier which when I spray/fog the house and yard elongates any and all bugs. But I’m looking for an alternative since part of the attraction to is the wildlife like hummingbirds and other birds as well as other critters I don’t want to kill or harm like the tree frogs that stick on our windows at night.

So I’m considering hanging a couple of bug zappers. At $60-$70 a pop I wanted to get some feedback on how effective they are, not just for mosquitos but also gnatscand flies. I’m sure the kill in contact but do they offer more of a moral victory knowing you just eliminated another annoying bloodsucker when in fact it was a fraction of the population circling the deck looking for a meal?

Do they work in the daytime? Even day drinking or trying to have brunch has been taken off the table lately.

I will say if you are looking for effective bug management for your home or cabin and are less concerned about the effect it has on local critters, that a Stihl Fogger is the clear ticket. You won’t have a bug for at least a month if used properly.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I have never used one, but what I hear the knock against them is there not selective. They kill the good bugs to. Living in town I don’t have much for sqeeters but them damn nabit flies. doah I have used the fly bait traps, sticky tape and fly swatter. I really don’t think you will ever get rid of them all.

The fly bait I get a fleet farm and no surprise there out. But I’ve gone through 6 of those packets already.

catmando
    wis

I had one years ago, bugs yes. skeeters nope, get a Thermacell!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Thermo cells work good to!! waytogo

I also use the sqeeter beater. I think that stuff works just as good on those ankle biting flies. Once the grass gets wet it’s shot however. And you need to but it down early to allow it to work.

jwellsy

Have any of you tried those bigger outdoor propane mosquito traps? I think I read they attract one sex so the population goes down over time.

Henpecked

Addressing the bug zapper issue, I fought that battle a couple years ago when the skeeters were really bad. I did not find any of several varieties that worked during the day and very minimal at night. Seems the worst time for mosquitos is at dusk and the zapper did nothing until full dark. Kill way more beneficial bugs than mosquitos. My opinion, waste of money. As long as one is stationary the Thermacel works great. At least for skeeters. Never tried the Mosquito Deleto so cannot give an opinion. This year has been great around here because of the drought. Good luck.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Good info. I think I’ll pick up a thermocell to try out. If it works out I might pick up a couple more. We just got a new fire table for the deck so we are anxious to spend some more time in the evening out there.

[/url]

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Want to get rid of bugs? Buy your neighbor a bug zapper!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.