Buck throne

• buck-slayer

Reading about killing this plant by Basal bark treatment. Mix some type of herbicide with some sort of penetrating oil diesel, kerosene, or fuel oil is recommended. Has anyone done this? What herbicide to use and what percentage of oil does this get mixed to?

Coletrain27

Garlon and diesel mixed in a pump up sprayer

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

Buckthorn is lots of fun to deal with. Berries can produce stems 7 years later after they’ve been dropped. If you have alot of mature trees I suggest cutting them down and spraying the stumps.. add food coloring to your mix that way you know what stumps you’ve sprayed.

stevenoak

Petroleum products mostly used for a quick brown, stretching chemical, or as a sticker. Herbicide will do its job without. With diesel prices, not saving any money. Cut and coat bark ring on the bigger stuff.

Henpecked

I’ve done the Fuel oil/Garlon4 (Triclopyr) treatment with some success, but it makes the whole are smell like Fuel oil for several days. I would recommend using Basal Bark oil instead of fuel oil. Applied in fall before freeze up works very well. Once you eliminate the canopy however the sun shine on the ground makes the dormant seeds sprout like crazy. I finally had to give up with mine as I got too old to keep up and all the dead brush became a fire hazard. Whole township is full of the stuff.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I just cut a bunch on Saturday and will probably plan to recut then treat stumps in the Fall. The neighbors that we bought an adjoining 40 from didn’t believe in dealing with this stuff unfortunately.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I struggle with buck throne every year. My neighbor thinks the stuff is great and will fertilize it. Is there a good way to keep it back with out me spraying on his property?

haleysgold
    SE MN

Buckthorn is the worst.
    I spray it with Glyphosate on the leaves, will kill if strong enough.
    Otherwise, cut it and I put Tordon RTU on the stump. Blue stuff so I can see it’s been treated. You can scrape the bark and spray Tordon on it, usually kills it.
    Getting rid of the brush is impossible, especially the big ones.
    Makes a mess but eventually degrades. A chipper would be nice but not really an option for me.
    It’s a constant battle and I never get ahead of it. The neighbors is full of it and the birds spread the berries like wildfire.
    I will say the deer do like it mainly because it’s so think and prickly, humans won’t walk through it or can’t.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.