Brushy Report

• bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Fished Brushy Sunday with my Dad, who I found out was born on a farm that’s now flooded by the lake. He’s a pan fish guy so that’s what we targeted. Caught a couple 13″ crappies and a fair number of fat gills. The walleyes were the surprise fish. We had about 10 of them and about 10 accidental bass as well. The water is still a bit cold for pan fish and the wind didn’t help any either, but it was a productive day and if we hadn’t been in tour-the-lake mode we probably could have caught more than we did. I’d give Brushy another couple weeks to warm up before planning any panfish trips.

clay
    Kansas City, Mo

John, sounds like a GREAT day to me!!! Congrats! What were you having luck with? Live bait? Depth?

Thanks. Clay

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

We were up in the ‘shallow” bays, just as shallow as we could get fishing under the thickest brush we could find. I was dunking a live minnow with a 20’ pole and my dad was dabbling a tube jig. When we spotted gills we pitched bare hooks or shallow bobbers to them with crawlers. Gills are so dumb. Leeches really didn’t do it. Maybe I got a bad batch.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I had good luck on leaches sat with the bass and eyes. Got a limit of both but the panfishing sure was slow. I fished leaches under a slip bobber in about eight feet of water and just nocked the bass and walleyes most of the morning.

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Fished Brushy again Sat and Sun. Caught some nice crappies Saturday when I wasn’t keeping fish, couldn’t catch them again on Sunday when we were. Bass were catchable, but they aren’t as dumb as they were in years past. Did catch some nice gills on Sunday. They were deep early then they moved up after the sun came out. Lots of guys were struggling based on the comments from other fisherman.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.