Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs

• ThunderLund78
    Participant

Anyone else seeing a ton of these? It is the time of year for all kinds of stink bugs like boxelders and other common native stink bugs, but this is the first year I’m seeing such a high number of these invasives.

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

Some big SOB’s too.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Yup, seen them previously but an uptick this year. Boxelders are crazy too.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

I had a very small beetle on my arm last week and OMG it wreaked on my fingers after grabbing it.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

I’ve waged war with boxelder bugs since spring. Can tell the farmers are starting to harvest, seeing boxelder and asian beetles now. The fly swatter is getting a workout and I still got bug killer in the spray bottle. waytogo

Walleye Hungry
    Participant

Yes all over my house today and yesterday

ThunderLund78
    Participant

I’ve just been keeping my vacuum out of the closet and accessible. Just sucked up two more off my walls. Feels like every time I turn around I see another one. Kids always leaving the door open doesn’t help.
    Boxelders and Lady Beetles haven’t been quite as bad for me this year, but these
    big brown dudes seem to be everywhere. Looking at one right now as I type (on the good side of my window).

Also ’tis the season for crickets in my basement. Maybe I should call the Orkin man!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Each afternoon on the way to Red Wing I heard a hard bug hit the wind shield. Didn’t splat. To small (and fast) for me to see. Lots of them!

I don’t recall this from years past.

Gregg Gunter
    Participant

I had one after another get into the screen porch at my Dad’s yesterday. Tried a fly swatter and no go. So I picked them up by hand and flicked ‘em back outside. Took a whiff and nada! What’s up?

stevenoak
    Participant

Stink bugs showed up yesterday. Here it seems to coincide with picking the soybeans around the house.

B-man
    Participant

They’ve been bad to the south of us for some time, and are starting their invasion here as most invasive species do.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Boxelder bugs are out of control here. Our beans are off and that coupled with the warm weather seems to only make it worse. I’m talking probably 500+ crawling on the bright white LP siding at anytime throughout the day.

Is there a product that can be directly sprayed right on LP siding to keep all of these bugs away? I’d buy stock in it.

DTW
    Participant

Buggslayer works great! A bit pricey but once you spray in on your siding/house you will see the bugs dead on the ground for about a week or sooner if it rains and washed it off. Non staining. I spray my foundation and soffits every spring to eliminate ants a spiders. No more webs

wormdunker
    Participant

dish soap water mix on a hose end sprayer or pressure washer. spray bottle works on smaller areas.

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

Stink bugs started being more numerous last year in southwest Minnetonka and this year they exploded. We just grab them with a paper towel and throw ’em in the trash. Boxelders started showing up in the last week. Not as bad as a few years ago. Dish soap and water kills them in ~1 minute.

eyekatcher
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

If you are vacuuming them up, you will want to empty the vacuum often. You don’t want to let them start decomposing inside the vacuum. Only takes a couple of days for them to cause a stinking mess possible even having to replace the permanent filter bags.

ThunderLund78
    Participant

If you are vacuuming them up, you will want to empty the vacuum often. You don’t want to let them start decomposing inside the vacuum. Only takes a couple of days for them to cause a stinking mess possible even having to replace the permanent filter bags.

It’s a Dyson, the canister has been dumped!

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

So to verify for the pea brain people like myself, If I were to whip up a mix of diluted dawn in a yard sprayer and shoot it on my siding…it’d be worth my time to eliminate boxelder bugs?

Jimmy Jones
    Participant

So to verify for the pea brain people like myself, If I were to whip up a mix of diluted dawn in a yard sprayer and shoot it on my siding…it’d be worth my time to eliminate boxelder bugs?

Pretty sure you’d want to spray the actual bugs for this to work. Doubtful it will do much being sprayed on a bare wall.

wormdunker
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

Pretty sure you’d want to spray the actual bugs for this to work. Doubtful it will do much being sprayed on a bare wall.

This is correct, Boxelders drop almost on contact. I tried it on Stink bugs too. Seemed to work but they do not drop as fast.

buschman
    Participant
    Pool 2

Anyone else seeing a ton of these?

YES! I have never seen so many at my place. I would see a few each year but this year has been crazy. SE Metro.

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

I have boxelder bugs and Asian beetles but not as bad as I usually have….. YET.

NO stink bugs though… YET!

Pailofperch
    Participant
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Funny, about an hour after reading this thread today I saw my first one of the year.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.