Brightest GPS Display With LOTW Mapping

• fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

For ice fishing, I exclusively fish Canadian LOTW. I currently run a Lowrance HDS5 Gen2 with LakeInsight map chip on my snowmobile. I’m not unhappy with the chip at all, but the display on the Gen2 units are very difficult to see in the daylight in the winter. So I’m wondering what would be a good change. Garmin? Humminbird? Raymarine? Upgrade to Gen3 Lowrance? I would like to stay with a 5 inch screen, so the Gen3 Lowrances are out of the question.

Priorities are 1) bright/visible display – able to see well in the very bright light and 2) a good/accurate map chip of Canadian LOTW.

Thanks in advance for the input and suggestions.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Can you turn up the brightness on your screen?

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Create a sun sheild on sides and top out of cardboard, see if you like it. If so use some corrugated plastic to make version 2.0

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

I’ve got the brightness up all the way. Sunshield won’t help my situation. Wanting to make it easier to see while riding the snowmobile in daylight.

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Are you wearing sunglasses? I only ask because I notice the polarizer of the HDS screen makes it difficult at times while I am wearing sunglasses (usually polarized glasses as well).

Switching sunglasses could be the cheapest solution if this is valid.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

I’m wearing a snowmobile helmet with a clear mask. So it’s not the polarization. It’s just that the Gen 2 displays are not as bright.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

The screen’s are the same between gen 1 and gen 2 button units for HDS units.

Best bet is to get up into a Carbon 7 unit which will be the best screen on a budget.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.