Brightening up a painted aluminum boat

• ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

My aluminum Crestliner is painted black. It looks like it has hard water deposits and a bit of a scum line. I’m not a neat freak, but would like it to look a bit better especially when I put it away in December (hopefully). I scrubbed with Dawn dish soap and a spray bottle of water and vinegar. The results were ok at best. Ive found some aluminum boat cleaning products online. They look they are for cleaning pontoons or unpainted surfaces. What do you guys and gals use ? Thanks, Sam

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

The aluminum brighteners are generally acid based to etch the aluminum. It would not be what I use on a painted surface. Biokleen makes a good de-oxidizing cleaner that might be what you need.

MikeV

CLR. Wash normal. Then I take a wet cloth and spray clr on it. Wipe the boat in sections. Rinse with water. Wax.

I had my black ranger on the water for a week a month ago. Tried vinegar and water. Did not touch it. I probably did not make it strong enough. Used the clr and it turned out great.

Attachments:
    1. 5D11514B-5BEF-46AD-8071-2B1B81413198.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Try some hot sauce by boat bling. Spray on, use a microfiber towel to wipe clean. No water, no brushes, easy and simple to use. Works wonders on water spots. If it’s a really nasty skim line you may need something stronger.

Mike’s boat looks nice but it’s a fiberglass boat, not an aluminum one the OP is asking for advice on.

spkwms
    N.E. Iowa

Hot Sauce Yes

MikeV

Try some hot sauce by boat bling. Spray on, use a microfiber towel to wipe clean. No water, no brushes, easy and simple to use. Works wonders on water spots. If it’s a really nasty skim line you may need something stronger.

Mike’s boat looks nice but it’s a fiberglass boat, not an aluminum one the OP is asking for advice on.

True fiberglass. Should added I did this with my Lund prior.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.