Briggs Chain

• DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Someone I know has a place on these lakes. Does anyone know anything about them? I am mostly interested in walleye, but would be interested in anything.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

They’re known for crappie and get hit really hard in the winter to the point that they’re getting fished out. They also have deceptively good bass populations and are the host to local club tournaments.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

They’re known for crappie and get hit really hard in the winter to the point that they’re getting fished out. They also have deceptively good bass populations and are the host to local club tournaments.

x2 it’s one of the more popular lakes/chains especially early ice for crappies. There are walleye in there, but few and far between and small in my limited experience.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I fished this chain once in a while in college. The crappie fishing was OK at early ice if you are just looking for action(not size)…but people take buckets of 9″ fish out of there when the bite is on. Once we get into January and beyond, it’s not real productive.

We spent one entire day (sun up to sun down) working for walleyes on that chain with only 1 – 12″ fish that looked like it came straight out of a Cabela’s aquarium.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I fished this chain once in a while in college. The <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>crappie fishing was OK at early ice if you are just looking for action(not size)…but people take buckets of 9″ fish out of there when the bite is on. Once we get into January and beyond, it’s not real productive.

We spent one entire day (sun up to sun down) working for walleyes on that chain with only 1 – 12″ fish that looked like it came straight out of a Cabela’s aquarium.

I don’t think there are any sizable crappies in the St. Cloud area aside from some roaming schools on Sugar Lake and the Horseshoe Chain, and those are usually difficult to locate in my experience. If there are some others, I’ve yet to find them. I just find lots of 8-9″ “borderline keepers” that people fill buckets with. I find these lakes to be better suited to bluegills and pike.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.