Cross Lake & Whitefish Chain

• Mark Steffes
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

The FW & the girls & I are going heading up there on Sunday for 4 day’s of fishing & relaxing. We are staying on Cross lake, I’m not looking for anyones secret spot’s just a few comunite spot’s for some Eye’s & panfish maybe a Bass or Northern. I’m setup for everything from leadcore to downriggers & live bait. Someone did tell me that one of the lakes had lake Trout on it is that true? Thanks in advance to the help.

jeremy-liebig
    Participant
    mpls

Grab a map and try these spots:
    1) There’s a couple of midlake humps on Cross that will hold walleyes in the early morning and evening/late night hours. They are fairly small, top off around 10 feet or so, and are just a little north of the island.
    2) Foley’s bar on Whitefish. It runs across the whole lake between lower and middle Whitefish. Also a decent walleye spot.
    3) Misc. humps, rockpiles, and bars on upper Whitefish. Thes areas will probably produce more than the two mentioned above.
    Starting about this time o’ year redtails usually are the bait of choice.
    Trout Lake is deep and clear and does have lake trout. I’ve never caught one out of there although I’ve only really tried once. It does hold some really nice northerns and smallmouth though.

umichjesse
    Participant
    Plymouth

I was up last weekend and Jeremy is right on with the spots mentioned above. I never bothered with live bait as I was entertaining guests and only fishing for an hour or two here and there. My best walleye advice on these clear lakes is to fish low light periods. I only caught one small walleye trolling Trout bar on Saturday afternoon, but hooked up with a couple of 4 pounders Saturday night. Sunday looked good with clouds and waves but as soon as we got out on Whitefish the sun came out and the wind died down. The northern and bass bite continues to be non-stop. Any deep diving crank trolled outside the weeds in 20 feet will provide non-stop pike action in the 2-10 pound range.

As an aside, I can’t ever remember catching as many bass trolling as I did last weekend. They were nailing shad raps left and right. I caught about a 3 pounder in 75 feet of water trolling a shad rap through a flock of loons and seagulls. I was hoping it was a big walleye until it starting jumping out of the water 200 feet behind my boat.

standaniel
    Participant
    Bloomington

Hi Mark,
    There is a fairly large sunken island in Cross that does not show up on the paper maps. When coming up from the south end of the lake and entering the main lake, you will pass the long point on your left and then see the islands to your left. Keep heading straight up the main lake bearing slightly to the right and watch your depth. When you start to shallow-up, slow down and cruise the area to find the hump. It is about 10 or 12 feet deep if I remember. The top of this thing must be 100 yards or more, south to north. We caught most of our fish on the south and west drops using Lindy’s and crawlers or leeches.
    Be sure to take your family into Trout Lake. It’s a beauty.
    Good Luck! Swede

fishman1
    Participant
    Dubuque, Iowa

Mark,

Try pitching jigs or live bait rigs on the rip rap on the Cross Lake side of the underpass between Cross and Rush lakes around sunset. I’ve caught many a walleye up there doing just that. I have also caught walleye in the evenings on the west side of the island in the cove down near the campground and dam.

For crappie try just above the dam at Cross Lake. There is a bunch of old wooden timbers in there from construction many years ago that hold lots of crappies. It is on the north side of the dam about 25 yards from the dam in approximately 10 feet or so of water. You can see the timbers (and the crappies) when going over it in a boat. Fish it with slip bobbers and minnows. If you are staying ar the Corps campground you can also cast out to this spot form the shore next to the dam. I haven’t fished it for a few years but the last time I was up there the crappies were easy pickings in this particular spot and they always seemed to be there every year.

umichjesse
    Participant
    Plymouth

Whitefish continues to surprise me. Last Saturday night, I caught a 25″ walleye trolling an unweighted #5 shad rap in 70′ of water. The lure couldn’t have been down more the 8′. We were trolling 5′ to 15′ of water but the big fish hit as I was making a u-turn through the deeper water, go figure. Of course I circled the area and couldn’t hook up with any more fish in the deep water.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.