Lake O’Brien

• Thinice1
    Participant
    Elk River, MN

any of you guys fish this lake, i used to have a cabin on the lake and i fished it everyweekend growing up but the cabin was sold and i havent fished it for prolly 8 years. since then i heard they closed the public acess to it idk if people have been able to get on the lake. if any of you have info let me know

Box
    Participant

I have a cabin on Obrien, and yep, they closed the access on us. The Lake Assoc is fighting to get a public access, but so far the DNR can’t find the land… it is going for too high a price, or the sellers don’t want to sell to DNR. Actually, the DNR just sent letters to all owners who have fairly level lots/yards, and a buddy of mine is thinking about selling his cabin to them, if they give him enough…

Anyway, I fish it every weekend I can. I love the clear water, and even though you would be amazed at how the traffic increased, it still isn’t bad, especially in the morning.

We get some nice fish, but “nice” is different definition from the bigger and better known fishing lakes. If you have fished the lake much, you know what I mean But I do see plenty of surprises, again you would know what I mean if you fished it for those many years

I love the lake, and it would take some pushing for anybody to get me away from that little lake. It is tiny, a nice cozy lake. I bring the bigger boat up and hit withefish or North Long or Pelican when we want bigger water.

-Box

Thinice1
    Participant
    Elk River, MN

where on the lake is your cabin? mine was in the back bay on the south east side. i had the middle cabin of the three that are back there. its the bay just south of the sand bar. it was a big brown cabin on top of a hill. its not easy to see however cause no one ever went back there. we used to have a big blue pontoon, a green lund, and a red and white monark deep V. i spent a lot of time fishing off that dock and when the family went swimming at the sand bar i was the one wading wiht a rod. i caught a lot of fish around that sand bar. i even have a 20 pound northern on my wall that was caught htere in 1989. my dad caught it when i was two.
    your a lucky man

Box
    Participant

Hey Thinice,

I shot you back a PM. Shoot me an email once you get that.

-Box

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.