Whtie Fish Chain Help!

• Tim
    Rochester MN

My in-laws live on Cross Lake. I have been fishing the Whtie fish chain for years with out a lot of success do any of you have any sugestions. I will be up there all week so any help would be great. Are there any other lakes in the area I should try.

sc maps
    Duluth, MN

When I was up that way a week ago, I heard that Whitefish was catching a lot of Northern’s… But that is it. I don’t know what species you prefer to catch, but from the people I talked to not many had sucsess with Walleye’s on Whitefish. I’d try Pelican. Lots of structure and deep weed beds that are holding fish. Best fished in low light conditions because of the heat and it’s clarity. I fished it last week and the 18-24 foot weed edges where the wind was blowing in, did the best. Walleyes were good eating size 15-21″.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I haven’t fished the Whitefish Chain in a while but I used to fish it a couple times a year. We always stayed at the Army Corps campground at the dam in Cross Lake. Lots of opportunities to catch all sorts of fish. If you are targeting walleyes try the cuts between the lakes in the early mornings and again in the evenings such as the highway pass between Cross Lake and Rush Lake. We always caught walleyes casting small jigs tipped with crawlers up onto the rocks and jigging them down the drop off. During the day we caught walleyes trolling off points and islands in up to 30 ft of water (in the summer). Fish the side of the lake that the wind is blowing to.

If you want Northerns and Bass then you can’t find a better lake than Rush Lake which is just north of Cross Lake. Rush Lake is shallow with lots of points and such. We always seemed to get many nice large mouth bass out of Rush as well as some nice northerns in June. I think the northerns move out to deeper water this time of the year such as deep structure in Cross or lower Whitefish. Pan fish can be caught in all of the lakes. I can remember slaughtering the crappies on some submoerged structure right above the dam at Cross Lake. You can also fish the Pine River below the highway bridge. The area above the highway bridge to the dam is closed to fishing. The Pine River has some really nice smallies and northerns in it and is well worth spending a few hours casting from the shore.

It has been a few years since I have been up there but it is one of my favorite places to spend a week. Way too-much water to cover in a week’s time. Try to concentrate on learning a couple lakes every year.

Eyehunter

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.