MEA Weekend Trip – Thoughts on where to go

• jigs

I am thinking of taking the girlfriend on her first ever fishing trip over MEA weekend (October 19th-23rd) somewhere in the area. She has not fished a lot and wants to try some fall sight seeing/fishing. I am trying to find a cool resort on a smaller lake (don’t want to deal with big waves if we can) somewhere within the Brainerd area. I just have not spent a lot of time around there, I am open to ideas but if someone has a location they can think of I would be happy to look into it. Good luck.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I think that will be a full moon trip…

Mille Lacs may be finally going, Im sure there will be reports if it is. You may want to sneek over here for some night trolling?

elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

I would suggest Gull, Round, or North Long, they can all be pretty good fall walleye lakes.
    You will likely find that most of the small resorts are going to be closed, most close October 1. Craguns and Maddens will be open on Gull, not sure about the other lakes. Better start calling soon. Good luck!

patk
    Nisswa, MN

My family has a place near Zorbaz on Gull. The guy who takes care of townhomes also owns a resort a just a mile or two off of Gull. http://agatelakeresort.com/ His mom is also our next door neighbor. They’re really great people!

Bill and his wife own the place so it’s not a corporate deal like the big resorts. Give them a ring and see what you think.

As for fishing i can’t speak to Agate lake. However if you’re introducing someone to fishing it might be a good intro. It’s small so big waves will not be an issue. If the weather turns or the bite is cold you can head back in.

Don’t do what I’ve done and fish hard pushing someone on their first time out.(see ex-girlfriends for references). Sight seeing just down the road in Nisswa with good pizza at Rafferty’s.

If the wind is calm you would only be a couple miles from a boat landing for Gull itself and then a short boat ride to the north end of the lake.

good luck and might be up that same weekend

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Quote:

I would suggest Gull, Round, or North Long, they can all be pretty good fall walleye lakes.
    You will likely find that most of the small resorts are going to be closed, most close October 1. Craguns and Maddens will be open on Gull, not sure about the other lakes. Better start calling soon. Good luck!

these lakes would be good too for what you’re looking for. Small enough to not get pounded by the waves but also centrally located for girlfriend type sight seeing. Sorry, don’t know any resorts on these lakes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.