Report for 5/19-5/23

• stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

Okay guys….. here’s the skinny:

TOUGH! Our group had no trouble finding a bite once fish were located and all but one guy in the group managed to catch at least one fish. My numbers weren’t great but I did a lot of exploring, having ventured into Lake Margaret as well as Love Lake. I found crappie, largemouth, rock bass, pike, and walleye all biting on trolled crankbaits, mostly in the evening hours. The morning bite was s-l-o-w and consistantly s-l-o-w.

Squaw point was giving up 17-26″ eyes at the buoy, right on the break lines of 20 to 35′ deep and taking shiners and leeches. Grassy was a stinkin’ ghost town as was the Rock Pile. Hayfield and A-Frame did produce rather well and Sandy Beach has coughing up good numbers of shorties to 20″ eyes just north of the point in about 16′ of water. White House Bar was infested with Rock Bass but as dark set in, the walleyes would mostly chase them off and pick up the bite for about an hour each night. The windier, the colder, the wetter, the tougher it was to get on fish, stay on fish, and successfully coax a bite out of them. South Bay had some areas attracting anglers but with mixed results. On Friday night, I went to trolling #9 sized Matzuo Fantastic Minnow’s in a suspending Pearl White and Prism finish, red bill and red front hook. It did very well. Had my partner not been feeling cold, I would’ve kept fishing that rig all night. 80′ of 10lb. Trilene XT in Government Bay, 13-17′ of water, about 1.5 mph in total darkness! Tried the same on Sat. night and only found little eyes and rockies. The weather conditions were nearly identical so that has me scratching my head a bit.

The trip was still a good one and a challenge is good to have once in a while. At least I wasn’t working!!! Any questions?

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

Thursday morning at about 6:00am, heading toward Sandy Beach, then onward to Lake Margaret. Rock bass galore up there!

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

Saturday evening down by Horshoe Bar. Out of the big wind and trolling breaklines again, the sky gave a little color so I took a little picture.

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

Nothing over 3lbs on the incedental bass catches but here’s a fatty caught by my nephew Chris on a Shimano ultralight!

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

Another eye pic….

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

One last one……

Steve Plantz
    Participant
    SE MN

Thanks for the report Kid, we are heading up to Cross Lake on Friday I might have to make a trip to Gull as well.

By the way do you know the guy in this pic?

MFO
    Participant
    Minneapolis, MN

Thanks for the great report and pics. Kind of looking forward to chase some bass up there later this year.

nick
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

Great report kid

Hey steve I’d be interested in a cross lake report when you get back, We’ve had a cabin on the lake all my life, and I’ve never been able to catch much more than some small snakes and sunfish. Walleye wise I know there there, but have never caught one. I’d apperciate any help you’d like to pass on.

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

Not real sure because of the fuzziness Steve,…. bu’ whoevva he be, he sho’ nuff iz ugly! Good thin’ they’s a fish in ‘err or uhh couldn’ loogidit!

haywood04
    Participant
    Winona, Minnesota

Nice report Kid
    I have loved the Gull/Love lake area since that is where my dad turned over the 16′ rented boat and 9.9 merc to us 13 and 12 year old brothers some 20+ years ago .

Hey what was the water temp in the bays and main lake?

Thanks

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

Main lake was varying 54 to 55. Not too much variance. The skies were lacking any serious sunshine the whole trip too and the warmest I heard anyone report was 56. There jsut wasn’t any sun to warm any shores or bays. Typically, a good sun can warm as much as 4-6 degrees during the daylight and of course, drop back to average sometime after dark so if you’re up that way, it’s cloudy, and the lake is say……56……if you have a good sun the next day you should count on the sunbeaten areas to get a surface temp of 60 or so by mid-afternoon.

Bird
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

Nice report Kid….never made it up there for the opener. My brother did alright trolling at night….by the looks of it so did you.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.