Anyone go here for the opener???

• stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

I’m heading up Tues. night and wondering if I might be able to get a conditions update on water temp and ‘eye bite?

dank
    Participant
    Minneapolis, MN

How did you end up Stillakid? I was on the lake Sat and Sunday.

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

I ended up at home working on boats and prepping for this trip on Gull that starts tomorrow night!! How did you do? What are the conditions like up there? Do any night trolling? Is there a leech bite? Anything you’d be willing to share in a pm?

mkanderle
    Participant

Stillakid,

Was on Gull all weekend, stayed around Hole in the day and Polks flat most of the time. Green/Black Rattle Jigs and shiners were the walleye ticket for us, in 12-15 feet. The key was to go SLOW – barely moving the rod tip.
    Slip Bobbers w/ minnows brought northerns in like they were going out of style!
    Nothing fast and furious, but with some stable weather and a few less boats pulling up close whenever you bring the net out, it should be improving.
    Let me know how you do, I’ll be heading up again this weekend.

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

Welcome to the site pimpwitalimp! Thanks for the heads up on a viable option for action! I’m trying to remember where “Hole” is. Polk flat is on my map (I think,…….sounds familiar) so I should find that easy enough. I’ll be up there through this weekend so if you see a little red Lund with a 15hp Evi trollin’ Grassy in the evening, stop and say “hi” or give a wave. Our group tends to congregate on White House Bar too but I usually don’t hang there long because even though I like the group, I just hate playin’ bumper boats. I think I’m going to see how far up the river I can get on Wednesday (if the weather holds). I saw some points of interest on the map and would like to give the old 1..2…

Truthfully, I could be anywhere on the lake at any given moment over the next few days, but Grassy has been a steady trolling bite in the evening hours so that’s about as close to predictable as I can get.

Good luck this weekend and I hope to see ya out on the water!

Oh yeah……. and again, WELCOME TO IDA!!!

dank
    Participant
    Minneapolis, MN

Here is the big walleye of our trip last weekend. It came off a sharp break of sand with sporatic cabbage in about 15 feet of water. I caught it on and crawfish colored crank bait. It absolutley crush the bait. Needless to say that a couple pics and it was back in the water. Hopefully the rest of the 2004 season goes the same.

Finny
    Participant
    Minnesota

Was up there all weekend and had some good luck on the a-frame bar with spot tail’s and jigs. Try heading over to Round that seemed like the most consistante bite for us. Be carefully if you do go over to Round thought the launch is real shallow and I seen alot of boats hung up on the bottom as they pulled away from the dock. Good luck!

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

Nice fish alphid!! I love that crank bite up there! Thanks for specifics……. I’ll try and find and area like that!

Finny……what’s a spot tail? Twister tail with a black dot? Seriously…… I’m a lure junky and I don’t know! I do have plenty of jigs so I’ll head up a-frame way and see what I can find. I’m leaving to go up there shortly and I’ll be back to post a report Monday!

Thanks Guys!!!

Finny
    Participant
    Minnesota

I am sure I am to late but a spot tail is a type of shiner I am sure you will see them when you stop at a bait shop up there. Good Luck, let us know how you did.

mkanderle
    Participant

Windy, wet and cold…that’s about the best way to sum up the weekend on gull. We were finding fish on the Vex, but couldn’t get them to bite. Only 1 walleye Saturday morning
    That afternoon we decided not to get pounded by the waves so we headed for Wilson bay, we were casting the weed edge for northerns and started drilling bass, they must know they’re out of season
    Most excitement all weekend came from an old friend who doesn’t fish much, we couldn’t hold a spot in the wind so I asked him to throw out the anchor…he did…without tying the rope on first

How’d every one else do???

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

How’d it go? Let me give you a hint……..

stillakid2
    Participant
    Roberts, WI

I’ll give ya a full report tonight…..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.