Brainerd Jaycees

• gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Anyone going? The high up there tomorrow is supposed to be 3 degrees.

Nodakk
    Participant

I’ll be there as it’s in the backyard. We’ll see how long I last out there lol

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

We’ll see how long I last out there lol

Haha. Good luck to you!

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

I was going to go and have my tickets purchased. But I have a VFW charity event I should do instead. I am sure one could guess where I would rather be. I already gave away the tickets. cry

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

I like ice fishing, but not that much. sad

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

I like ice fishing, but not that much. sad

same here. But I won’t be doing pulltabs instead!! devil whistling

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

…hard pass

Did they ever sort out those cheating allegations from years ago? I remember reading about it, but that’s about the extent of it.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Yeah I think the cheaters forfeited their winnings. Pretty lame and Im surprised it hasnt happened more often. I sure the cheating has happened every year, but that they havent been caught.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Yeah I think the cheaters forfeited their winnings. Pretty lame and Im surprised it hasnt happened more often. I sure the cheating has happened every year, but that they havent been caught.

They passed polygraph tests and were cleared of deception/cheating at the event in 2018. All three accused were permitted to keep their prizes. Organizers of the event indicated they had no proof of cheating, according to an interview with the Star Tribune.

I believe that each fish entered has to be alive. So I’m not really sure how anyone would be able to smuggle in a live fish, and keep it alive. Maybe someone who regularly participates could elaborate more on how possible it would be to cheat and/or get caught.

https://www.pineandlakes.com/news/brainerd-jaycees-ice-fishing-extravaganza-polygraph-tests-find-no-deception-among-contest-winners

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ve been a few times. It’s a blast. Usually cold as hell, but the booze and comradery keeps you warm. Everybody is in a good mood and nice as hell out there.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I find it awfully suspicious that the same group of guys from out of state consistently win at this event. No surprise they seem to be Russians based on their names.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

I find it awfully suspicious that the same group of guys from out of state consistently win at this event.

That’s what I thought too, and I’m sure everyone else did. But if there is no proof, what else can you do? Nothing, really. They submitted to their polygraph tests and passed. Not like you can stuff a 3 pound pike down your pants and then keep it alive until its weigh in time lol

CaptainMusky
    Participant

That’s what I thought too, and I’m sure everyone else did. But if there is no proof, what else can you do? Nothing, really. They submitted to their polygraph tests and passed. Not like you can stuff a 3 pound pike down your pants and then keep it alive until its weigh in time lol

Have you not heard about the stories about people stuffing drugs in their body cavities and go through security before? LOL I wouldnt put anything past someone.

Joe Jarl
    Participant
    SW Wright County

A few buddies are going, but I opted out this year even before the current forecast. It is a good time but I can’t say I’m going to miss freezing my butt off.

As far as the cheating goes anything is possible, but it seems it would be pretty difficult to do. The contest area is “gated”. No fence, but the perimeter road is patrolled pretty well. When you enter through one of the gates multiple people are checking your stuff. Opening up rod cases, coolers, etc.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

As far as the cheating goes anything is possible, but it seems it would be pretty difficult to do. The contest area is “gated”. No fence, but the perimeter road is patrolled pretty well. When you enter through one of the gates multiple people are checking your stuff. Opening up rod cases, coolers, etc.

So in your opinion does cheating seem like it would even be remotely likely, given that the fish has to be alive when you weigh it in?

bigcrappie
    Participant
    Blaine

Those beer can holders that hold 6 cans on top each other, That’s how you sneak a 3lb northern in, then hook it and drop it down the hole and reel it up in front of everyone. pretty sure that’s how he did it. LOL

Ripjiggen
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    I find it awfully suspicious that the same group of guys from out of state consistently win at this event.

Don’t know unless you try it.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Head up or down you think. whistling

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

lmao

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

laugh

Those beer can holders that hold 6 cans on top each other, That’s how you sneak a 3lb northern in, then hook it and drop it down the hole and reel it up in front of everyone. pretty sure that’s how he did it. LOL

Shhhh! I need me a new pick-up.
    I hope a 2 pounder works because 2 of those spots are holding Coronas.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

If you only have two sounds like the winning fish will be weighed 5 minutes into the contest.
    See ya at the party tent. toast
    Oh can you give me a ride home in your new truck?

Nodakk
    Participant

I treat these events as a social gathering versus trying to actually win the tournament. Can’t imagine people that put effort into winning a prize. BLA area is good for a big event every few months to get a big group out for some fun. Beer will sure be cold this year!

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Just tried….
    Tail kind of tickles head down. whistling

JEREMY
    Participant
    BP

I would take the tickle compared to what could happen with the toothy end up.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

It is possible though. Just sayin.

Joe Jarl
    Participant
    SW Wright County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Jarl wrote:</div>

So in your opinion does cheating seem like it would even be remotely likely, given that the fish has to be alive when you weigh it in?

I don’t know how you’d do it. Last years leader was a 9.15lb northern. That would be a pretty lively pant leg! yay That and if you get caught cheating the penalties are pretty significant.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

Just have to bite your lip so you don’t giggle going pass the judges when entering.
    EPG 2lber doesn’t stand a chance.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

Just have to bite your lip so you don’t giggle going pass the judges when entering.
    EPG 2lber doesn’t stand a chance.

I gotta bunch of 2oz lead sinkers I use.
    I just watch the leader board to see exactly how many.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.