Braid to mono/fluoro connection: knots or swivel?

• reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

What do you guys use to connect your mono/fluoro leaders to a braid? I’m thinking of casting and pitching scenarios here, for both jigs and crank presentations. In the stiff wind Saturday, braid main line would have hooked me up just a few more fish.
    I struggle with the typical line knot(forget the name) with braids because of the diameter disparity. Ice fishing I use a small swivel to connect, but worry about beating up the guides when casting/pitching open water. So…what’s the recommendation?
    Share away, thanks! wave

-Rev

FryDog62

Fluorocarbon. Two favorite lines for this are either 8 lb Tatsu (if you can afford it) or 4 lb Yo-Zuri Hybrid (Same diameter as Tatsu and rated breaking strength of 8.5 lbs – and much cheaper).

Learn to tie to Alberto Knot. About that same time as it takes to tie on a swivel. Swivels can eventually get caught in the top guide of your rod… (been there, done that).

Only time I use a swivel is when using a Snap Rap or Jerk Minnow on a darter head – reduces line twist.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Braid to leader I use back2back uni knot or the crazy alberto knot. Both work great!

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I’ve tried a number of different knots and seem to always come back to the alberto

mr-special
    MPLS

Braid to leader I use back2back uni knot or the crazy alberto knot. Both work great!

+2

i used to use a swivel but in the heat of the moment or lack of attention have broken many rod tips or gotten them stuck

if im not mistaken i believe the alberto and albright are pretty much the same knots

when using Uni to Uni, i like to double the braid to give it more mass. quite often im going from #10 braid to #15-20 fluro or mono

another knot i wanna try out is the FG knot but looks more complicated

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

For my trolling rods (especially leadcore) I do like to attach with a swivel to avoid line twist but for a casting rod you’ve got to learn to tie a leader knot. I like the alberto when using a heavy leader (15-30#) but for lighter leaders I used to use a uni-uni knot but a couple years ago I started using a tie-fast knot tool and find it’s quicker and easier to do out on the water.

Will

Czech Mate

Is the Alberto knot the same as the FG Knot?

mr-special
    MPLS

nope its not. alberto knot is similar to albright knot. but defers in how its wrapped.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Czech Mate wrote:</div>

nope its not. alberto knot is similar to albright knot. but defers in how its wrapped.

I have seen the Alberto knot referred to as the modified Albright knot.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

The modified albright aka Alberto knot. I use it with braids and nanofil it is very fast to tie stays small and is much stronger than a back to back uni which must be tied perfectly to be strong. I have not tied the FG but videos show that it takes some time to properly. Both the Alberta and FG are favorites of Saltwater fisherman so you know they are stronger. Plus knot wars and other test have proven it. I have been using the Alberto for over 5 years and will not go back to uni to uni for anything.

Mwal

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

another knot i wanna try out is the FG knot but looks more complicated

It’s really not that bad. Put it this way…I can do it. smash

The biggest inconvenience with the knot is keeping the main line tight when tying it, which really isn’t a big deal when you tie the knot ahead of time. On the water, it could be a different story.

There are a couple thing one needs to remember. Pull on the mainline and leader a little to cinch it down and before you tie the finishing half hitches.

I never used a leader knotted to the mainline until I learned the FG. I have more confidence in the FG than tying 2 lines to a swivel.

mr-special
    MPLS

It’s really not that bad. Put it this way…I can do it. smash

Now that u put it that way i will give it a shot. i might be in ur neck of the woods 1st wk in JUNE.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Cool, let me know if you make it down. My head is starting to get focused back to fishing now that the wedding is over.

thaddeus
    St. Cloud, MN

for jig fishing you only need a 12-36″ leader. I just use the smallest spro swivel. with such a short leader there’s no reason to reel it through the guides unless you’re careless…I find it easier to tie a new leader to a swivel than tie directly to the line, plus helps with line twists. Just my opinion.

Czech Mate

I agree that the FG isn’t too hard, once you do it a couple of times. It is really low profile and can be reeled right through the guides and onto the reel without any issue. For me, it depends on the length of fluro leader I want and what I’m pulling with it on whether I use a swivel or the FG.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Alberto knot it is for now…one I can tie relatively easily. Thanks everyone for your input! bow

kwp
    Eden Prairie

I posted a while ago my initial thoughts and notes on the alberto vs. double albtight vs. FG knot.

Having field tested the FG knot for attaching leader material to braid it has become my go-to knot. The one thing about the FG knot is it is best tied with tension on the braid. I found holding it with my teeth works while leaning over the rod works best.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That’s one key, you need it tight because you are essentially braiding the line together. Coils should not overlap and be tight against each other.

Czech Mate

Here’s a link to video on how to tie the FG knot – if anyone is interested.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

The fg is a great knot just takes little time but not hard.

Ty Kennedy

I used to tie the Uni Knot and I liked it but the FG knot goes through the micro guides a little better/smoother and it’s never broken for me yet

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.