Boys HS hockey – live streaming

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Wayzata beat HM 1-0 earlier too.

Ripjiggen

Was hoping someone posted this. Thought for sure it was going to be Dutchy. One of my favorite sporting events of the year.

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

You realize that win was from forfeit, right? COVID-19 strikes again. 9 HM players filed law suit against MHSHL.

Good thing Dodge County played Hermanntown’s B squad….

So much controversy surrounding this derby. Makes a guy ill.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

I was hoping a team or a player would stand up and protest the tournament, like wayzata stepping up and say they wanna win there way in by play! Probably won’t happen, but how can it be legit “state” tournament the way it’s playing out. Supposed to be the best of the best. College had the same problem. But they should play there way there no matter how long it takes to do the tournament. IMO

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

You realize that win was from forfeit, right? COVID-19 strikes again. 9 HM players filed law suit against MHSHL.

Good thing Dodge County played Hermanntown’s B squad….

So much controversy surrounding this derby. Makes a guy ill.

I know. It goes down as 1-0 Wayzata.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

While it may not seem fair to penalize teams for the Covid thing it’s less fair to make more teams wait to play their games. What would happen if a semi final goes 5 over times. Are you going to wait 3-4 days for a team to get over Covid so they can play? How would that be fair to the other team?

This way might suck but at least it sucks the same for all the teams.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

I was hoping a team or a player would stand up and protest the tournament, like wayzata stepping up and say they wanna win there way in by play! Probably won’t happen, but how can it be legit “state” tournament the way it’s playing out. Supposed to be the best of the best. College had the same problem. But they should play there way there no matter how long it takes to do the tournament. IMO

I don’t know if the HS had a similar deadline like the NCAA tournament did but in the NCAAs they set a 24 hour deadline after the teams were selected to replace them. St Lawrence was replaced by Notre Dame who, along with Michigan, had to withdraw because it was already past the deadline. You can’t just throw another team in there either at the last minute.

The state HS hockey tournament is a great event but it is far from having the “best of the best.” There are far superior teams that lose in their conference section that are better than some of the teams at state. Many of the first round games are often blow outs because of this.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

good points.

bowman620

Hey Kurt are you saying the Dodge County boys shouldn’t be playing the next game. Hell they have the state’s leading scorer. I’ll be cheering the Wildcats on

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

Heck no! I just feel an easy game early doesn’t bode well for when the heat gets turned up.

Go Wildcats!

Jeff Gilberg

While it may not seem fair to penalize teams for the Covid thing it’s less fair to make more teams wait to play their games. What would happen if a semi final goes 5 over times. Are you going to wait 3-4 days for a team to get over Covid so they can play? How would that be fair to the other team?

How does it suck the same?
    As far as I know Hermantown didn’t have a single positive case.
    Supposedly 2 positives on the team they played a week earlier.
    Not sure the “correct way” to handle this, but I sure feel bad for the way it ended for all these teams after all the work they put in. I don’t think most people who played sports years ago don’t realize the commitment it takes to play at a top level now. Its not just a hobby they do for a few months out of the year. Almost all teams lose the last game of the season (or their last game ever), but to not get to play in it is a tough life lesson.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Is there any evidence that it can be transmitted during a game from one team to the next? I know they’re supposed to be wearing masks while playing but lets be honest, those things don’t stay up anyways. I saw more players wearing the plexiglass itech shield this season which was acceptable to use without a mask underneath.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

How does it suck the same?
    As far as I know Hermantown didn’t have a single positive case.
    Supposedly 2 positives on the team they played a week earlier.
    Not sure the “correct way” to handle this, but I sure feel bad for the way it ended for all these teams after all the work they put in. I don’t think most people who played sports years ago don’t realize the commitment it takes to play at a top level now. Its not just a hobby they do for a few months out of the year. Almost all teams lose the last game of the season (or their last game ever), but to not get to play in it is a tough life lesson.

Life lesson #1………life isn’t always fair.

hop307
    Northern Todd County

Is there any evidence that it can be transmitted during a game from one team to the next? I know they’re supposed to be wearing masks while playing but lets be honest, those things don’t stay up anyways. I saw more players wearing the plexiglass itech shield this season which was acceptable to use without a mask underneath.

In the little bit I have watched, none of the players are wearing masks regardless of what style of shield or cage they are wearing.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

In the little bit I have watched, none of the players are wearing masks regardless of what style of shield or cage they are wearing.

The players with bird cage masks have one but you often can’t even see it because it has fallen down. If they wear an itech then they don’t need one.

They all wear one when they come out for introductions (without helmets) and the coaches all wear one on the bench. But ya, doesn’t do a whole lot if they keep falling down during the game.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

I’m not sure how you can look at the MSHSL with any respect after not granting HM a Thursday game with Wayzata that Wayzata completely agreed to. After all these kids have been through and you can’t give a 1 day exception? There is no words that can justify that decision so please none of you try to convince me otherwise.

Yes, there is evidence. Not the type that I like – it is anecdotal – but I have been reffing this year (not in MN), and it has definitely happened. We can’t rule out that it was from someplace else, in the same way that I can’t rule out that the lottery ticket I lost would have made me a millionaire, but it has happened.

I’ve personally contracted a rhinovirus this year reffing (only started reffing after I was fully vaccinated). The night I first noticed symptoms, earlier in the day I reffed 6 games. That was 11 teams. I partnered with 3 different referees, some of whom went on to different rinks later. This is not unique – every time I do a tournament, I’m almost guaranteed to be “sick” with a mild cold for a few days afterwards. My friends are the same.

Ever been in a rink when it is humid outside? Especially early in the morning, look at the fog coming from the benches. Much of that is steam from sweat, but much of it is also from breathing. It just hangs there. Respiratory diseases that are transmissible through aerosols are definitely transmissible, and it definitely has been transmitted via hockey – but most hockey players are youth, and they just aren’t as significantly impacted by it, Thank God.

As for the masks? The best are the CCM Game On Masks. They’re pretty good. But none of them are great. All of them will slip. They’ll still help though, in the same way that putting in a leaky drain plug in your boat is better than no drain plug at all.

The other thing with this – some MN teams have been refusing to start play when their opponents aren’t wearing their masks. Pretend it was a helmet – is it ridiculous then? It is a rule, like it or not. Be happy there is hockey, get vaccines ASAP so we can get out of this hell.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Great story. I used to referee ice hockey many years ago too. I know exactly what you’re talking about in an arena when its humid outside and this the time of year when it happens more often.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>hop307 wrote:</div>

The players with bird cage masks have one but you often can’t even see it because it has fallen down. If they wear an itech then they don’t need one.

They all wear one when they come out for introductions (without helmets) and the coaches all wear one on the bench. But ya, doesn’t do a whole lot if they keep falling down during the game.

Definitely being transmitted playing hockey. I am pretty involved and so are my siblings and the amount of teams in youth hockey that missed time was off the charts. Could they be getting it elsewhere sure no doubt.
    The HM thing was a little different scenario as they didn’t have anyone on there team actually get infected. I wish the MSHSL could have done things differently but there has already been presidence set in other sports.

Either way should be some good hockey today.
    Gimruis it may not be the best of the best all the time, but 7 of the top ten teams made it to state in AA only team outside of the top ten was Moorhead and they have to beat some good teams to get there in a one and done situation just like the rest of the teams. So I would say it’s pretty damn close to being the best of the best.

A is a little different but so is the caliber of play. 7 of the top 14 made it there so still pretty strong IMHO.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I agree Ripjiggen. I played youth hockey many years ago but I’ve been out of that scene for quite a while now. Figured it was spreading during games but wasn’t sure about that.

Ripjiggen

Are you referring to Gentry Academy? If so yes they are in the A for boys and believe for girls as well.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’m not sure how you can look at the MSHSL with any respect after not granting HM a Thursday game with Wayzata that Wayzata completely agreed to. After all these kids have been through and you can’t give a 1 day exception? There is no words that can justify that decision so please none of you try to convince me otherwise.

Not trying to change your mind but that is the MSHSL in a nut shell, never flexible. And it would have appeared to some like the wealthy private school got preferential treatment over Hermantown and Centennial girls team.

Are you referring to Gentry Academy? If so yes they are in the A for boys and believe for girls as well.

Yes, sorry – Gentry Galaxy.

So is A vs AA just based on size of the school? Because they’re one of the better teams I’ve ever seen – at least when they had the Lucius brothers they were – though I don’t see many MN high school teams.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

So is A vs AA just based on size of the school?

Generally, yes. But there are some exceptions. When an A school starts to dominate, they sometimes move up to AA. Benilde and St Thomas both used to be in single A. Roseau is a small town that plays in class AA too.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

Yes, sorry – Gentry Galaxy.

So is A vs AA just based on size of the school? Because they’re one of the better teams I’ve ever seen – at least when they had the Lucius brothers they were – though I don’t see many MN high school teams.

They are basically a hockey school, and want to be AA from what I understand, so again the MSHSL in it’s infinite wisdom are making them prove it in A first.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Also it should be classified

In my opinion Private school’s should automatically put in “AA”.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.