Poaching on Blackduck Lake

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I believe Blackduck is pretty close to Bowstring and thought this might interest anglers that frequent that area.

From the MND Website @ Wisconsin anglers caught with 220 sunfish over the limit

Wisconsin anglers caught with 220 sunfish over the limit; boats, motors, trailers, rods and reels seized (2004-12-14)
    A group of Wisconsin anglers faces heavy fines and forfeiture of equipment for taking an over limit of sunfish near Orr in northeast Minnesota

Minnesota Conservation Officers Lloyd Steen of Ray and Troy Fondie of Orr recently received a call that four Wisconsin men were taking over limits of sunfish from Blackduck Lake. The caller had descriptions of the two trucks and boats being used. The anglers were found with 220 sunfish over their limit. They each face a fine of up to $3,000, one year in jail or both.

“Thanks to a concerned citizen, this illegal activity was identified and stopped,” said Steen.

Charged with gross misdemeanor for over limit of sunfish were Darold D. Strine, 56, Roger M. Hamilton, 65, and Thomas N. Price, 55, all from Lone Rock, Wis., and Richard L. McCollough, 54, of Spring Green, Wis.

In addition to facing fines and restitution, the men forfeited two boats and trailers, two boat motors, and four sets of rods and reels under the enhanced gross overlimits law passed by the Minnesota Legislature in 2003.

Steen and Fondie went to the cabin where the men were staying and found a freezer containing 240 sunfish, as well as an additional 60 sunfish in the round between both boats for an estimated 300 in possession. The legal possession limit for the four anglers is 80 sunfish (20 sunfish per angler). Restitution value on the estimated 220 illegal sunfish is $1,100.

“Over the years, the DNR has received valuable information through the Turn In a Poacher (TIP) hotline, assisting us in ending a variety of poaching activities,” said Steen. “This case is another example of how the concern of Minnesota sportsmen and women can be used to protect our natural resources.”

Established in 1981, the TIP program allows Minnesotans to call a toll-free number from anywhere in the state to report natural resources violations. Calls regarding violations can be placed anonymously at 1-800-652-9093.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

i think its great that these guys were caught. Its amazing what some people think they can do.

herb
    6ft under

The fools, they should have come to Iowa. They can HOG all they want on our inland waters.

Bob Bowman
    MN

I HAVE FISHED BLACKDUCK AND ELEPHANT(ANOTHER LAKE CLOSE BY) A LOT WHEN I WAS GROWING UP, THE FISHING WAS OK AT BEST, BUT EVERY ONCE AND A WHILE YOU WOULD BUMP INTO SOME NICE PAN FISH FROM TIME TO TIME. I AM GLAD TO SEE THAT THESE A HOLES GOT CAUGHT, I JUST DON’T UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE CONTINUE TO DO THESE THINGS, WHAT AND THE HELL ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH 220 PANFISH??? I THINK ITS TIME FOR THEM TO START LOOSING EVERYTHING WHEN CAUGHT. I KNOW THE DNR TOOK SOME OF THERE THINGS, RESTITUTION FOR OVER LIMITS IS ONLY A SLAP IN THE FACE. IT IS TIME TO START MAKING A POINT OF THESE PEOPLE AND PUNISHING THEM TO THE FULLEST EXTENT. THESE THINGS MAKE MY BLOOD BOIL

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

That’s just disgusting to see…I hope those boats in the backgroung were confiscated??

I know we’ve talked about this before….but this should be a severe penalty….This isn’t 1 or 2 by accident…and I won’t believe ignorance either…In a case this severe, pull their license if not some jail time

Bob Bowman
    MN

THEY DID LOOSE BOTH BOATS, TRAILERS, MOTORS AND 4 RODS. NOW WHY DID THEY NOT LOOSE THEIR TRUCKS? THEY WERE USED TO GET THE BOATS(TRAILERS) TO THE LAKE, AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED TAKE IT ALL!!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.