Bowstring Walleye!!

• Brian Lyons

No posts on this lake? I spent the absolute best days of my life on Bowstring. Does anyone fish it anymore?

elheldt
    N E Iowa

As a 16 year old from N E Iowa, I spent 2 weeks on Bostring
    .as a guest of a friend and his family. This was the summer of 1952. I believe the camp was called Sugar Bush. I loved it. Took wife and 2 sons there a couple times in the 60;s.

smackemup
    North Metro

I lived in Grand Rapids for the past few years, fished a ton of lakes around there, never Bowstring though. From what I gathered everyone fished the lake years back; I think in got overworked a bit. People don’t fish it like they did in its’ hay day now, so hopefully it can get back to being a solid walleye producing lake. You can still go out there and catch fish, but I think its safe to say the numbers are way down.

johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

Is this the bowstring by Winni??

midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

Bowstring is still a good lake, I fish it at least a couple times each year. The Walleye seem to be on the smaller side mostly 13 to 16 inches but perfect eaters. There is a ton of small Northern Pike in the lake, I believe it still has a liberal limit of 9 fish under 23 inches so you can fill up a livewell fast. Also good Crappie and Perch fishing at times. Depending on what time of the year you are going you may be fishing rocks, humps or weeds. Fun lake in my opinion something is always biting.

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Bowstring is an awesome lake. I spent a few days out there this winter for crappie and perch. Bowstring did pretty much get fished out of crappies back in the day but when Red kicked in all the pressure left and gave it a chance to come back.

It can be a tough lake sometimes though, one day it might be a morning bite then in a few days it will be an evening following week might be mid day haha.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

if anyone is going that way soon, make sure ya bring bug dope with, them sqeeters, deer and horseflies need to be reckoned with! just a heads up!

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

if anyone is going that way soon, make sure ya bring bug dope with, them sqeeters, deer and horseflies need to be reckoned with! just a heads up!

Going up to Spider next week and plan on hitting Bowstring too, hopefully bugs will be down enough to enjoy the water.

Al

glenn57
    cold spring mn

we where up the weekend of the 10th and the flies where bad, but that was before the froze there wings. otherwise even the sqeeters where tame!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.