bowstring area

• Erik Swenson

Nice glenn. I’m up here now and may go out and troll some cranks this evening. Haven’t seen any ticks yet surprisingly, but the skeeters are bad yeah. Have a good one!

CBMN
    North Metro

Glenn, I was up over the weekend and fished big W all weekend. Graphed a lot of fish almost anywhere I went but took a while to find the cooperative ones. The weekend was mostly a grind with a few here and there but did find one really good bite later in the weekend and had it to myself… Great weather weekend up there but the skeeters were out in force.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Yea there most certainly no shortage of skeeters. Hopefully they simmer down by mid June.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

got back today, fishing was pretty good, skeeters were agressive in the mornings. horse and deer flies werent all that bad.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Got some fish.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20230616_163044108_HDR-scaled.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Some smoking and pickling material.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20230614_160442723_HDR-scaled.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Dad bought this eagle for mom years ago. I’m cleaning it up and it will go to the cabin when I am done. Not sure why it’s so red in the picture?? Used a redwood wood sealer. Gonna throw some polyurethane stuff on it yet..

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20230722_161155745-scaled.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Spent 4 days up there. Set the eagle in place. Yea the cooler is bottled water. devil fishing was ok. Bugs weren’t bad at all!!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20230731_191831186-scaled.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Unfortunately I also put our sheltie to rest up there. doah

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20230731_185326065-scaled.jpg

MX1825

Sorry for your loss glenn. That’s makes for a tough week.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

just got back from the cabin today, went up monday afternoon. my kid was there over the labor day weekend, he used the portable AC unit we have for 2 days…..tuesday afternoon……i turned the furnace on!!!!! doah

we did well fishing pike and sunfish. seen some deer!!! waytogo not near as many hummingbirds and the leaves are changing and dropping!!!

Erik Swenson

Awesome, Glenn. Sounds like you had a great trip. I’ve been up for 11 days and headed back today.

Got into some sunfish too this past week. The walleyes were mixed in with them. Didn’t see any pike, but I did get snipped a few times.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

dang………just read on bring me the news a pedestrian was killed sunday morning real early on Hwy 6 north of deer riversomewhere between deer river and cty rd 19….the road that goes towards deer/moose lake!!

Erik Swenson

Yeah, heard that too. Terrible situation there.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Spent 6 days at the cabin coming home Wednesday. Windy the first 2 days. Saturday afternoon was pretty breezy too, to much to fish a lake by myself. Did a bunch of trail walking chasing grouse. Definitely gotta my cardio. Seen plenty of grouse but damn they were spooky. Did get a couple shots but I swear my shells didn’t have BB’s in them. blush jester

Dropped some dead trees before ma nature decided to cause damage.

Sure isn’t much for deer or deer signs. whistling

CBMN
    North Metro

Have been up on big W the past two weekends and the bite has been fairly good. Decent numbers of eaters with healthy looking slot and over fish mixed in. Hard to find much other than fatheads for bait but the fish don’t seem to mind.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Have been up on big W the past two weekends and the bite has been fairly good. Decent numbers of eaters with healthy looking slot and over fish mixed in. Hard to find much other than fatheads for bait but the fish don’t seem to mind.

where did you go out of CBMN???

i’m headed up in the morning…….my summer fishing gear is put away. time to play with guns and get ready for deer camp!!!!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

if anyone is headed in the general area this weekend fishing…….i’d sure appreciate an update on ice thickness…purty please!!!!!! cool waytogo jester

going to be one smaller lakes in shallower, 8-10 ft of water on 2 differnet lakes. iffin there’s enoiugh ice i may try crappies deeper???????

CBMN
    North Metro

Sorry I didn’t see this back in October Glenn but I was on the North end of Winny almost all fall.

I am of no help on ice as I am trying to stay off of that slippery stuff and in the boat all winter again this year.

FinnyDinDin

I should be up this Sunday and will try to remember to measure and give a report. If you are walking a majority of lakes are good to go. I live south of there about an hour and lakes have 6-10 inches. I’ve seen atv’s out and even a handful of small wheelhouses and aluminum skid houses.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Glenn is hoping to get his spear chucker house out, so he needs a little more than walking ice. jester

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Glenn is hoping to get his spear chucker house out, so he needs a little more than walking ice. jester

rotflol rotflol got that right John. but its a collapsible so not that heavy. need ice thickness for my wheeler as i aint pullin by hand no more!!!

that chart that Denny posted elsewhere really helped !!!! feel more safe and confident knowing the lakes i plan on hitting.

Finny……..i’d sure appreciate that!!!! yay yay does look promising!! peace

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Sorry I didn’t see this back in October Glenn but I was on the North end of Winny almost all fall.

I am of no help on ice as I am trying to stay off of that slippery stuff and in the boat all winter again this year.

no worries CBMN!!!!! talkin to you a bit at the GTG…i could tell your a busy guy….fishin!!!! devil peace

Erik Swenson

Bowstring Shores reported 8″ out front of their resort. Smaller lakes probably have at least that too by now in that region. You should be good to go Glenn! I can’t get up there until after Christmas sad

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Bowstring Shores reported 8″ out front of their resort. Smaller lakes probably have at least that too by now in that region. You should be good to go Glenn! I can’t get up there until after Christmas sad

thats when i’m going…leaving the day after christmas!!!! there wasnt enough ice for me 2nd weekend in dec, so my first ice voyage !!!1

Erik Swenson

Sounds good! I’ll be up on 12/26 too. May try to walk out somewhere too. That’s my only option right now. Also hoping ice is thick enough not to crack when I drop a tree on it…

Let me know if you want to meet up for a toddy or something.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Sounds good! I’ll be up on 12/26 too. May try to walk out somewhere too. That’s my only option right now. Also hoping ice is thick enough not to crack when I drop a tree on it…

Let me know if you want to meet up for a toddy or something.

tats a possibility!!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i decided to make a couple phone calls. called the talmoon spur and bowstring store. guy at talmoon spur said he only works weekends. hasnt heard any ice report on little turtle, right behind the store. said little jessie had 6 inches now down to 4. he did say people are coming in and buying bait so there going out somewhere.

bowstring store only had info on jessie and bowstring. bowstring had 6 inches, jessie has 4-6 and in deeper water only 3.

i’m going up anyway. got things to do i’d rather do when its 30 not -10. bringing hte shotgun to chace grouse if i even remotely dont like what i’m seeing for ice conditions!!!!

FinnyDinDin

Glenn I was up Sunday on about a 300 acre lake that gets to 32 feet deep with at least half of the lake 20+. Ice was 8-10 inches and super solid. I don’t think this weather is doing much to deteriorate ice at all. As long as you aren’t going on a super deep lake you should be good but obviously use caution.

The panfish were biting well.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 173 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.