Purchased used boat in Mn and registered in Iowa

• chubs1018
    Participant

Hi guys, I have a good friend that bought a boat from a private seller in MN and he lives in Iowa, so he registered it and titled it in IA. Does he remove the number decals on the boat and put on new ones that come from IA? Or leave the MN decals on? I didn’t know the answer to this so I’m asking for help from my fellow IDO friends. Thanks

jbg1219
    Participant
    NW Iowa

remove the old and put the new Iowa issued ones on it.

joneser
    Inactive

remove the old and put the new Iowa issued ones on it.

×2

Think about it—Leaving the MN ID on it with the IA registration tag would be akin to buying a car in MN then getting it titled in IA and putting the new tabs from IA on the MN plates.

Put the IA “plates” on the boat titled in IA….AKA take off the old MN decals and put on the new IA ones. Why would they give a new number if they wanted the old ones to stay on there? Why would IA want numbers correlated to MN’s system on a boat now owned/titled/used in their state???

chubs1018
    Participant

Thanks, appreciate the info. Sorry if it was a dumb question, I’ve only bought a boat from a dealership so wasn’t 100 % sure of the answer for my friend, although I was thinking that would be the case.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.