Boom Lake – Rhinelander

• bechjl15

Heading to Boom Lake this weekend for a Cabin getaway. Just seeing if anyone has tips this time of year. I know its fished pretty hard and seems to have more panfish then anything. Likely we will target the cribs on the Southwest side of the lake. I watched IDO’s episode on cribs for tips, but local knowledge is also helpful.

It be great to get on a good tip up bite too while catching a few crappie/bluegills. Is there enough pike/walleye around to put out a bunch of tip ups?

Any other insights would be great! I’m hearing ice is about 13-14″ (and obvious stay away from the south end by the river and the Northeast side channel)

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

bechjl15:

I don’t know what or why this is, but alot of peeps only fish north from Minocqua, like this some kind of better area or something and unfortuantely only in the spring do I travel the 25 miles to the south. And that’s because the water opens much faster!!!

I would suggest looking at the other fishing website if you’re familiar with LL. Here’s a link: https://www.lake-link.com/wisconsin-fishing-reports/boom-lake-wisconsin-river-rhinelander-oneida-county/3468/

Sneak back a few years and look over what peeps might be saying. As for driving, I would only consider using sleds, atv’s or foot traffic just yet. I was on a lake further north of there and I measured 12″ on a natural lake. And as far as driving on lakes were from last year, completely different years!!! While a few vehicles have put themselves in harms way, last year we had 22″ of snow right off the bat and ice was difficult to traverse even on foot.

Any other questions fire away, although I haven’t been on here often as I have a new job and can’t be away when they ask me to work.

Mark

bechjl15

Much appreciated. I have looked at that lake link as well but was hoping to sneak in here and see if there was someone willing to share.

The High Pressure system moving through this weekend won’t help things but it will be fun to fish a few Cribs since I can’t here in MN.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

I would also look at and see if there are any deep holes in the river channel.

Mark

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20210121-210810_Boating-HD-2.jpg

2. Screenshot_20210121-210810_Boating-HD-1.jpg

3. Screenshot_20210121-210810_Boating-HD.jpg

4. Screenshot_20210121-210754_Boating-HD.jpg

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

30+ trucks could be seen from Hodag Park on Boom Saturday. Good luck.

bechjl15

Fishing was tough with the high pressure system. Managed to find a few gills is all, but there was plenty of ice. Did not see a lot of other fish being caught around us too. Sorry I dont have anything else to report on.

Thanks for the replies!

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Glad to hear you had a safe fishing trip to the Rhinelander area!!! Hopefully we can meet sometime!!!

Mark

bechjl15

Not a lot of activity on here but thought I’d update ice conditions back on January 8th 2022 for Boom. I was able to go to my buddies cabin again this year and hopefully one more time in March (we will see). Measured anywhere from 10.5″-13.5″ of ice.

I drove out with my 1/2 ton and checked every 100 yards or so the ice thickness. Didnt have any ice concerns until we got to where we were fishing on the NW part of the main lake by the fish cribs which is where we found the 10.5″. We managed a few fish but nothing to crazy for us. Got off the lake safely.

Good luck all!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.