Boiler leaking?

• Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I am working on installing my boiler for my shop in floor heat. I added air to the system to check for leaks before I fill it up. I know nothing in blue leaks and held the same pressure for 3 days. Somewhere in the boiler or red it is leaking and my pressure will go to 0 very slowly. (with in 1 hour or so, I didn’t time it) I checked everything in red with dawn and am not seeing any bubbles. Making me thing the leak is in the boiler. I don’t want to spray leak detector in the boiler to check it with all the electronics in there. I am not a plumber and not sure what to do. I am hoping with the vast knowledge of IDO someone may know something. Boiler is a Nvidia NHB-055.

Attachments:
    1. 20221127_190403-Copy-scaled.jpg

2. 20221127_190403-scaled.jpg

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Clean picture.

Attachments:
    1. 20221123_211227-scaled.jpg

2. 20221127_190403-Copy-1-scaled.jpg

Iowaboy1

Might be a dumb question, but does the boiler have an air vent that allows any air in the system to bleed off but seals itself in the presence of water???

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I don’t like the idea of filling it and seeing if the boiler seals up its own leaks when it heats up. But…

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Might be a dumb question, but does the boiler have an air vent that allows any air in the system to bleed off but seals itself in the presence of water???

Great question. It does and I have that plugged with the air bleeder not installed.

B-man

What about soaping the joints carefully?

Like hold a rag under them and swab them with a q-tip?

Have you called the manufacturer?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Fill it up and see what happens. Navien is a good water heater/boiler. I’m guessing maybe an o ring dried out or it may be nothing at all. As a plumber for 30 years now there is no faster way to find a leak than turning the water on.

Should add my Navien sprung a small leak. By the time I got around to looking into it the leak had stopped. That was 3 years ago and I still have no idea what it was.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Thank you for your input Mike. As a DIY hack, I worry about my work. I know it is way easer to fix plumbing problem before liquid is brought into the equation. I feel better now about filling it and finishing up the work.

djshannon
    Crosslake

Is there one of these “Honeywell FV180A/U” on the top of the boiler. It uses water to raise the float inside seal. Or you can twist the cap top get it to seal (maybe). It could also be yourpressure relief valve.

Attachments:
    1. download.jpg

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

^ I have that and it is waiting to be installed after I did my pressure test. I will be putting that in and filling as soon as I get some time. Thank you.

munchy
    NULL

Fillerup! Doesn’t sound like a terrible leak so whatever it is won’t be noticeable for a bit, and may just need to hydrate the seals and not leak at all.

Keep the power off and nothing should get damaged, if anything put a fan on it to dry out.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Smoke machine they use to find vacuum leaks on cars would work great in this situation.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.