Boating the St. Croix

• Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Wife and I are planning to take a couple friends of ours from Stillwater out on the Croix Sunday, August 1st. Just a joy ride from late morning to late afternoon and plan to get nowhere fast. I am an experienced boater, but that experience has been lakes only. Everything from small Wright County lakes to Mille Lacs to LOTW. So, I haven’t had to deal with much for navigation markers or the sort. Should add that we’ll be in a Alumacraft 185. A few questions. Is there a good go-to source for the requirements of navigating the Croix? How are water levels in that area? I believe my Lakemaster MN card covers it, but is it reasonably accurate? Where should a guy launch? Any other tips or go-to spots in that area?
    Thanks for your help!

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Found the MNDNR River Guide, which should be helpful.

3Rivers

Depending on the size of your boat, some ramps might be better than others. Marinas will probably offer the best ramp access but you will have to pay $20-$30 fee. I would recommend Bluffs Regional Park and then head upstream to Lake St Croix or even further to Stillwater. It’s a nice ride. Expect a lot of big boats and traffic, especially if it’s a nice weekend day. There are a few no wake areas around the Kinni Narrows, Afton, Hudson. Biggest shallow area of concern right now would be the Kinni Narrows. Stay tight to the MN shore (see attached picture).

Attachments:
    1. 213655921_10158274539039290_6263043308266076060_n.jpg

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

You should be fine. If you have gps mapping, you’ll be even better. If its a nice day, be prepared to be bounced around like a bobber with the the wakes from boat traffic. The only time I get out on the Croix on a weekend is early a.m. to early afternoon – to avoid the traffic. Something to consider. Have fun.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Your Lakemaster Card will be close. The water is a little low this year. Just keep the red cans to your right and the green ones to your left going up river and the reverse going down river and remember the sailboats always have the right of way. There’s a lot of trees in the water near the Kinnikinic but most are visible and the subumrged ones people have put flags or floating markers on them.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Thanks for the info fellas. It’ll be a slow cruise. Definitely looking forward to it! If this weather keeps up, I expect it to be busy and I’ve heard about the big boats and their wakes. I’m going to try get the crew going earlier in the day if possible. Any recommendations for a good place for lunch and a cocktail? The couple we’re going with recently moved to Stillwater from out of state so they likely don’t know a lot about the area.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

We like stopping at the Lumberyard Pub in Afton. The food is good and the beer selection isn’t huge but there are usually a few good ones. Muddy Waters in Prescott is pretty good too.

Justin riegel

If your going to cruise the still water area, I would recommend launching from the Beach house marina in Bayport. It is $15 before 9 and $30 after on the weekends but it is nice deep launch. Woody’s Bar and Grill just up the street from the launch has really good food to.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

The stretch north of stillwater is probably the neatest for a putz kind of afternoon. Better scenery IMO. To go up river from the boomsite access you’ll want to head downstream toward the bridge, then swing around the island in front of boomsite. Water is low so just find the channel in that stretch and enjoy. High shorelines offer shade. Usually some porty potty’s in that area too. Cannot go further than 5 miles up from stilwater due to regulation. This stretch should be the least bumpy except for no-wake zones.

And yes, the Kinni stretch is real narrow right now and littered with logs. Plenty of boat traffic however.

Lakemaster chip fairly accurate but i don’t recall it being very accurate for the stretch north of stillwater. I think i may have mapped that myself but to be honest i haven’t been up that far in several years.

It can get real bumpy out there but just join the crowd. Putz around 9 mph throwing a big wake to reduce the bouncing.
    Enjoy your day!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Is there a good go-to source for the requirements

Have your throwable out and easily accessible. Make sure your fire extinguisher is not expired and is in working condition. (Pressure gauge in the green) Make sure your horn works. (Good to have an Air Can horn too – Super loud) Finally, make sure your battery terminals are covered or in a battery box with lid secured.

I actually got a warning ticket on the Croix because the Sheriff did not think my boat number decals contrasted enough with the boat paint. roll Some of these guys can be real sticklers out there! Good luck.

-J.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

A $15 – $30 launch fee might be well worth avoiding the headache of finding parking at a public launch on a weekend.

blackbay

Windmill Marina in Afton is another good one. For your boat it’s $16 to launch on weekdays and $24 on weekends. There is access to deep water without the need to go through the narrow channel at the Bluffs Regional Park, although that is a nice landing too.

Deuces

Windmill Marina in Afton is another good one. For your boat it’s $16 to launch on weekdays and $24 on weekends. There is access to deep water without the need to go through the narrow channel at the Bluffs Regional Park, although that is a nice landing too.

They usually will give ya a ride to your boat in the golf cart too.

deertracker

Make sure your fire extinguisher is not expired and is in working condition.

I just looked at my fire extinguisher the other day. It’s almost of legal drinking age. Oops. doah
    DT

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.