Boating Big Sturgeon

• rschmidty

Thanks for bumping FBRM. Hope you have had good luck this summer and continue it into the fall.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Great read, thank you. I am going to give it a try for the first time in a couple of weeks.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

The most important thing is to fish where the fish are. That changes frequently day to day.

I’ve been known to search with sonar for several hours before dropping a line in the water.
    Gotta be on big sturgeon to catch them.

Not marking crap in the lowest stretches of the Croix right now, or the last few months.
    Boat up to Bayport and they’re easily found right now.

I think Prescott area will pick up once turnover happens… Just my theory.

And don’t forget, just because your fishing on top of sturgeon does not guarantee any bites )

Safe handling please. Quick releases.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

You’ll have to find a jig that won’t straighten out with 100# of force. If you do, you might be onto something.

FYI

I picked up some 9/0 saltwater jigs this summer from 1/8oz to 3oz and some fluke jigs from 4-8oz with 10/0 hooks.

They work great for flatheads.
    Have not given an effort to deploying then for sturgeon yet.

olas88

I know this is a few years old but man there is some good info in there. I am looking forward to trying this out come fall.

Curious FBRM if your setup has changed in the past 5-6 years.

Also interested in how you setup your bungeed anchors. Again, great info here!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I enjoyed this read very much as well. Old info never dies.

olas88

The good thing about a musky rod and the low pro reels is you can multi purpose them instead of just a cat/sturgeon setup.

While I would love to have 4-6 different setups for every species, not feasible at this point )

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

wave

Curious FBRM if your setup has changed in the past 5-6 years.

Also interested in how you setup your bungeed anchors. Again, great info here!

Not much changed. Always keep lines tight. Find fish how you can. I use SI to find fish in shallower water and or heavy current versus 2d when water deeper. Lots of folks started targeting sturgeon since this thread opened and I’m happy to say there is a lot of folks who’ve gotten real good at catching sturgeon and sharing tactics. Search the depths of IDO.

Regarding anchor bungee, they sell em at sporting good stores now adays so there’s an easy way. I’ll take a picture of mine quick to give you a visual

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Best results attach bungee to bow.
    Tie of anchor rope to boat to ensure bungee won’t over stretch.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20220630-194739_Gallery.jpg

isu22andy

Flathead jigs ? Care to elaborate that technique ?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I don’t use jigs for sturgeon. But here’s an example what how I use jigs for flatheads.
    I’ve now gone away from these purchased jigs and make my own with do it molds fluke ball jig in 2oz up to 8 oz with a swivel attached 10/0 hook. I do use the bait keeper as shown.

Basically put a big arse live bait on a big arse jig. Drop it vertical below the boat anywhere from 1′-10′ suspended off bottom. No need to clickers. They’ll pound it and double the rod.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I’ll try again… well I tried

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20220810-145445_Gallery.jpg

isu22andy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>isu22andy wrote:</div>

I don’t use jigs for sturgeon. But here’s an example what how I use jigs for flatheads.
    I’ve now gone away from these purchased jigs and make my own with do it molds fluke ball jig in 2oz up to 8 oz with a swivel attached 10/0 hook. I do use the bait keeper as shown.

Basically put a big arse live bait on a big arse jig. Drop it vertical below the boat anywhere from 1′-10′ suspended off bottom. No need to clickers. They’ll pound it and double the rod.

I assume you jig the structure ? Is this more effective then say anchored ?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

It’s just a different way to fish them, like the hundred ways we do walleye, variety is spice of life. If I was guiding today, I’d run cut sheep.

Viewing 18 posts - 31 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.