Boat Price Reckoning

• olas88

When is the boat price reckoning coming? Over the last 5 or so years is seems like boat prices have skyrocketed above most other things. At some point this has to stall out. Any thoughts?

Lots of Ranger/Lund boats now over 100k… It used to be those prices were reserved for Grady White, Boston Whaler etc.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If you are waiting for them to stall before you buy a boat you will be without for quite a while yet.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I don’t think they will subside for quite some time. I think the pandemic exposed a lot of people to outdoor recreation who weren’t that interested in the past.

At some point the demand will flatten but that doesn’t mean prices will go down. Mfg will likely just cut inventory.

blackbay
    mn

The boat price reckoning comes when a guy buys a boat, only uses it a few times and his wife says they can’t justify the cost. Then you get a deal on a slightly used boat.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I’m glad I picked up my dreamboat before covid. cant wait for all these toys to go on the market in a few years at discount prices along with all the gear. I dont see the reckoning happening any time soon with all these stimulus checks thrown around. 2023 things will get back to normal IMO

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I suspect the price of new fishing boats has a lot to do with interest rates. We’ll see. But I’d also bet that they won’t go down when interest rates go up; they’ll just flatten out.

B-man

When was the last time the price of anything new decreased???

Wait all you want, but it’s never happened before and will never happen in the future.

Buy what you want and be happy. None of us are getting any younger. The only thing waiting will do is increase the price and have you without a boat.

FYI Ice Castle Fish Houses just announced a serious price increase.

tim hurley

Electronics like TVs Stereos and computers used to be very expensive, but we are going back to the 70s and 80s, so good point B.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

When is the boat price reckoning coming? Over the last 5 or so years is seems like boat prices have skyrocketed above most other things. At some point this has to stall out. Any thoughts?

As with vehicles, the rapid price run-up with boats is largely possible because of many years of record low interest rates. This has also helped normalize the financing of recreational toys in the minds of many buyers.

It’s a lot easier to sell a $70++++k boat to a guy when his only concern is that the payments are less than $150 a month. There isn’t one buyer in 100 that can tell you how much they really are paying for their boat in terms of purchase price + financing.

The “reckoning” will come if/when interest rates go up significantly enough that buyers start realizing what all that financing is costing them. Then there will be a mad rush to develop more and better low/mid range options.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Wait all you want, but it’s never happened before and will never happen in the future.

Incorrect 2008 everything fell in price even land! It’s not that long ago my prediction is 2023. The economy is just like the weather high’s low’s we have been in a high to long.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The boat price reckoning comes when a guy buys a boat, only uses it a few times and his wife says they can’t justify the cost. Then you get a deal on a slightly used boat.

Yes, I agree. The impulse purchasers over the course of the last year or so. “Why do I have this thing and I’m only using it 3 times a year?” is coming.

B-man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>B-man wrote:</div>

Incorrect 2008 everything fell in price even land! It’s not that long ago my prediction is 2023. The economy is just like the weather high’s low’s we have been in a high to long.

Did the price of NEW boats go down significantly??

The price of NEW trucks?

NEW atv’s/sleds?

Sure used equipment saw a price drop, but I don’t recall manufacturers making big cuts to MSRPs.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Yes everything took a dive if you had extra cash it was a great time to purchase anything. Interest rates were 6% and have only feel since then. Hold on folks the worst is yet to come.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Yes everything took a dive if you had extra cash it was a great time to purchase anything. Interest rates were 6% and have only feel since then. Hold on folks the worst is yet to come.

Been hearing that for years, but as 2008 proved every 70 years or so there will be a correction.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>supercat wrote:</div>

Been hearing that for years, but as 2008 proved every 70 years or so there will be a correction.

I’m with you Dutch. I also feel we “bail” people out all the time now…and because of that, I don’t think we’ll see a recession in quite some time. I doubt we’ll ever see a real estate collapses again in our lifetime.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

What you will NEVER see is a bailout of the taxpayers. The chickens eventually will come home on all this stimulus money that was spent on people & businesses.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I had the reckoning. Just decided there is no way in hell I’m paying these prices. I’ll go back to a jon boat or my float tube before i jump in with the sheep and pay these prices. Nope, no way, never going to happen.

Especially the way I have watched boats being built by the cheapest means possibly. Any way to drive profits and urine on quality.

Then the sheep just think it’s just a payment and interest is cheap. They don’t care “ I just want it”. But what do you expect, the government has conditioned everyone to be financially irresponsible. Ya, m old and grumpy and getting passed off at stupid people. Want the market to correct its self – do your part and say hell no. Don’t buckle to the sellers market. Live with what you have until the right deal comes along. Surprised banks even give loans for over priced used boats.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Those same sheep are signing checks for you to build multi million dollar houses. It’s a personal choice, nothing more nothing less.

queenswake
    NULL

Today’s Fed refuses to let the economy go into recession. Last year with COVID should’ve been one after 2008. But they have flat out said that they will do whatever it takes to prevent it from happening.

So house, car, boat prices continue to go up. Even when interest rates go up a point or two, so what? Your payment is an extra hundred a month, which is nothing for the people already spending so much.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Today’s Fed refuses to let the economy go into recession. Last year with COVID should’ve been one after 2008. But they have flat out said that they will do whatever it takes to prevent it from happening.

So house, car, boat prices continue to go up. Even when interest rates go up a point or two, so what? Your payment is an extra hundred a month, which is nothing for the people already spending so much.

Basically you increase the gap between the lower and middle classes. There are a lot of things going on in this country that throwing money at won’t fix.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Those same sheep are signing checks

Wrong – those wolves all put the brakes on and said NO. They’ll wait until the market adjusts. We just came to a brick wall.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

Wrong – those wolves all put the brakes on and said NO. They’ll wait until the market adjusts. We just came to a brick wall.

So they expect the price of material to drop and your labor rate to drop also.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

So they expect the price of material to drop and your labor rate to drop also.

back in June when materials sky-rocketed i didnt jack up my GC or labor rates. But material costs will ( and in some cases have) go down. No difference from osb products going up in hurricane season and dropping later

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

It is not so much that prices have gone up. It is that our expectations have changed. 50 years ago we were fishing out of 14-16 foot boats with a 10hp motor and no electronics. 40 years ago 40-50hp was a big motor on a fishing boat. 20 years ago when I got a 150 on an 18′ boat with a bow-mounted trolling motor I thought I had it made. Today those high dollar boats are 21′ have at least a 250hp motor, a bow mount trolling motor with capabilities we would not have dreamed of 30 years ago. Multiple 12″ graphs, down imaging, side imaging,.

If you want a boat you can afford it is still out there.

39degrees

The price of NEW trucks?

NEW atv’s/sleds?

Sure used equipment saw a price drop, but I don’t recall manufacturers making big cuts to MSRPs.

New cell phone in 1983 cost $4,000.00

B-man

The price of NEW trucks?

NEW atv’s/sleds?

Apples to Oranges. I’m taking about existing technology, not a brand new patented device available by only one manufacturer.

When a new 21′ boat with a 300hp costs $10,000 get back to me….

We’ll both have a good laugh and buy 10 of them

Ripjiggen

Boat prices especially on new are not coming down. They may flatten out some but selling for less then they are now not happening. Price of new sets the market for used as does the amount of inventory. Are used boats going to go for pennies on the dollar soon doubtful.
    If you are waiting for your new boat to come down in price good luck to ya.

39degrees

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>39degrees wrote:</div>

The price of NEW trucks?

NEW atv’s/sleds?

Apples to Oranges. I’m taking about existing technology, not a brand new patented device available by only one manufacturer.

When a new 21′ boat with a 300hp costs $10,000 get back to me….

We’ll both have a good laugh and buy 10 of them

In 2009 a 6kw residential solar system cost $50,000 today it is $21,000

bigpike

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>olas88 wrote:</div>

It’s a lot easier to sell a $70++++k boat to a guy when his only concern is that the payments are less than $150 a month. There isn’t one buyer in 100 that can tell you how much they really are paying for their boat in terms of purchase price

In order to get a $70,000 boat to $150 dollar payment you would need a 40 year loan and that’s not including tax and interest.
    Just saying

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I am hoping in 2-3 years the used boat market gets bloated driving 2-3 year old boat prices down. I’ve heard with the pandemic, boat sales are through the roof lowering inventory. I hope a lot of these people get tired of upkeep and cost of owning a boat.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 267 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.