Boat advice/experience neeed

• huntinforfish

I currently run a 16.5′ Alumacraft navigator with 60FS. Fully carpeted interior. I recently (this summer) began storing the boat on a covered lift near Aitkin full time for the season and plan to do so going forward. Boat is used regularly throughout the summer, but mostly on weekends as most cabin boats are. The boat is in mint condition inside and out. After one season, I have come to the realization or theory that it may begin a downward slide being stored outdoors 24/7. I knew this going in, but I have a decision to make this fall or this spring. I am throwing around the idea of selling and purchasing something similar but with non-carpet interior. Does anyone have any similar experience with this? Do you think your boat interior condition deteriorated quicker stored in a similar manner? Did you make a switch an have you been happy with the decision? I feel that non carpet interior will stand up better and be easier to clean. Basically looking for any input in regards to long term storage and long term condition. Thanks for any input.

Deuces

I know 2 people with boats on lifts, new boats, and both look really good still. When not in use they crank it as high as lift goes which pretty much sits the boat up and under canopy. Only thing to worry about is the birds getting in there but that’s about it.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

IMO you are overthinking this. Boats are made to be used outdoors.If after a few years you need to replace carpet who cares? Unless you can sell yours and buy new at a zero cost to you I would just keep doing what you are doing.

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

IMO you are overthinking this. Boats are made to be used outdoors.If after a few years you need to replace carpet who cares? Unless you can sell yours and buy new at a zero cost to you I would just keep doing what you are doing.

X2. Not sure what the concern is.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I can’t comment on the deterioration of a boat stored outside on a lift, but I can highly recommend an alternative to marine carpet. I have had the polymer vinyl non-skid flooring since 2016 and I can say with 100% positivity that I’ll never have carpet in a boat again. The hard surface is so much easier to clean and maintain than carpet. Think of it like carpet vs a hard surface in your house. Which one is easier to clean and maintain? Some people ask me if it’s slippery when wet or hot when in the sun. The answer to both is no.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I have noticed a significant wear difference with boats stored on a covered lift that are lifted just out of the water, and ones that can be cranked way up into the canopy.

I would think a lift upgrade is cheaper than a boat upgrade if yours doesn’t do that.

huntinforfish

Thanks for the input guys. I would agree that I am overthinking it, but can you blame me for wanting to boat shop! Just in terms of cleaning and such, I think it would be easier long term. The boat is now shared by my family members when they are up there, and we have different standards when it comes to a clean boat. Also does not get used as much as it should overall, so just throwing around the idea of selling while it is still in excellent shape and picking up a outfitter or something similar which would handle all fishing needs for the lake. Best of luck fall fishing and hunting to everyone!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Only thing to worry about is the birds getting in there but that’s about it.

This! Effing swallows are relentless.
    Like others have said, if you can crank up under the canopy, it takes care of most things. You still have to deal with spiderwebs and birds, though.

Aaron Oakdale
    Oakdale

You could always do a nice snap cover too. That, along with having it under the canopy and you would be well protected. Plus it’s a good excuse to buy a nice snap cover!

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

A mooring or travel cover is a must. A custom Sunbrella snap on cover is under $800.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I had my last boat for 19 years and also have a pontoon for over 15 years. Both are outside the entire boating season. I cover both of them when not using. I had to replace my pontoon cover 2 years ago because it takes a beating from the sun. My fishing boat was either on the trailer outside or on my lift at the cabin. My cover for that also took a beating and could have been replaced when I got rid of it this past summer. My pontoon carpet (keep tied to the dock all summer) has worn very well. My carpet in my fishing boat wore well also but it got a soft spot in the floor so I replaced floor and carpet about a year and a half ago. The key is to keep them covered when not using them. A good cover will cost between 500 – 1000.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

A mooring or travel cover is a must. A custom Sunbrella snap on cover is under $800.

x2, if you have your boat covered under a lift canopy then you’re golden. no water, no pollen, no dew, no birds, no leaves, you get the picture.

Family cabin is set up this way. Just sold a runabout that did 10 summers on the lift and you couldn’t tell lift vs garage for summers.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

There is a downside to a boat cover. The boat needs to be dry when covered or it can mold. That has limited the use of my boat on rainy weekends. I do keep a couple large desiccant bags in the boat when it is under the cover, but they can only absorb so much moisture.

Deuces

Hope as to not derail subject but what do you guys have luck with for keeping birds away?

The hanging owl only helps so much.

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

While not exactly cheap, the Floe vertical lifts have quite deep canopies that allow you to raise the boat way up into the canopy for best protection against sun and rain. I can raise my boat high enough so the bottom edge of the canopy is more than half way down on the side of the boat. No sun damage, and no water in the boat ever. Spider webs and bird poo are a different issue…….

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Hope as to not derail subject but what do you guys have luck with for keeping birds away?

My folks bought a heavy mesh screen product that hangs down almost to the water. I believe it snapped or attached via Velcro to the boat canopy and then was weighted at the bottom. It’s the only thing that has ever worked to keep the swallows out. They used owls, hung fishing string with reflectors, etc. Only the screen worked.

Musky Ed

Had a house on Padre Island Tx, for 5 years, with a boatlift where I pulled my bay boat right up to after fishing. Used to leave my boat on the lift while I was gone all summer, and birds were a real problem down there. All we did was cross hatch heavy monofiliment just under the roof where they liked to land. Worked great. String or rope didn’t seem to work as well, and I can only assume because they could see it easier and avoid it. Mold was a real issue down there, but no carpet on boats there, so they were fairly easy to clean.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

This is what I was mentioning. I don’t think this is the company that made them for my folks but they work great.

Attachments:
    1. 1FE6ACCF-8924-4EDF-8B59-C47F8FB220A4.png

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

>

I have found an owl that works for me. I am on the east side of Mille Lacs. The lake bottom is covered with rocks for the first 30 feet. The rocks are a great place for crawfish. Turns out that birds like eating crawfish… They would grab the crawfish then sit on top of the windshield or my boat while eating their catch. The boat is covered, but the cover would be COVERED with bird droppings, and the splash well would be full of crawfish remains.

I tried quite a few solutions and finally found an owl that sits on a tall dock post, maybe 10 feet above the dock. The owl has a solar cell and that powers it to move it’s head every 2 minutes. It has been near perfect for the last 7 years.

Owl

Attachments:
    1. owl.jpg

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.