Blackhorn 209 Powder

• deertracker

Impossible to find right now. I just weighed what I have. I have 9 shots left. bawling If you do find some, they have a minimum order you have to meet.
    Ugh!
    DT

Brian G
    Independence, MN

Not sure where you live, but I am west metro, if you wanted to come over I have some to spare.

deertracker

I appreciate it very much, but I’m in Alexandria. Not sure if I’ll be down that way any time soon.
    DT

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’m with you. I was looking to get a fresh supply this year. Looks like I’m going to end up using the last of the old supply. Hope the setup is still dialed in and on. Don’t have many shots to spare to get it dialed in and have a few remaining for the season.

TH

I can’t even find a can of Blackhorn. In stores and on-line are out. I’ll be shooting old 777.

deertracker

I can find a 5 pound jug online. Just need some guys to split it with me. I maybe found a 10oz jug out of Colorado. Looking in to see if its a scam first. LOL
    DT

Jimmy Jones

I have enough to last a few seasons yet.

For those of you shooting a drop down action, break action or bolt guns, whatever your charge is using Blackhorn 209 you can use an identical charge of FFFg T7 granular and get the same results as long as you use a volume measure. If you weigh the charges, simply put a weighed charge in an adjustable measure and adjust the plunger to put the charge level with the top of the barrel and set the lock screw. This is your charge for the FFFg. You’ll have to contend with the infamous crud ring, but the loads will interchange. The velocity difference will be so close that it’s a non-issue. Point of aim/impact will basically be the same as well.

The two powders when compared on a burn curve are very, very close to identical. Energy-wise, the same. Peak pressure is slightly different but again a non-issue.

Scheels stores should have the FFFg T7 granular and if one store doesn’t, they can order it in from one that does. In a real pinch one could use FFg granular in lieu of the FFFg but the load would be a bit light.

I shoot a lot in the off season and use FFFg instead of Blackhorn and I don’t have to change a thing. During the summer at the range I get about an inch group of five shots at 100 yards with the 110 grains by volume of the T7 FFFg and I still get the same group with the same point of impact using my 77 weighed grains [110 grains by volume] of Blackhorn 209.

I enjoy the same tradeoff with my Optima 50 cal pistol’s load, which incidently, took a nice mature doe the opening afternoon. 35 yards, quarter angle. Dropped in 15 yards.

Migz
    Lakeville

I saw a can of blackhorn 209 last week at Fleetfarm in lakeville but it was behind the counter. It did not say it was in stock when I checked online so maybe the Fleetfarm buy you might have some hidden. The kicker is that it is now sold as only eight ounces and Fleetfarm had it for $69.99 a can! Long ways away from $35 for 10ounces it was only a few years ago when you could find it.

deertracker

Was able to find some FFFg locally today. woot

DT

Jimmy Jones

I can find a 5 pound jug online. Just need some guys to split it with me. I maybe found a 10oz jug out of Colorado. Looking in to see if its a scam first. LOL
    DT

You’d want to be very careful about that purchase. Hodgedon is NOT putting any Blackhorn out in containers larger than 8 ounces and any of the Western stoch in the 12 ounce and 5 pound jugs is long since gone.

“I saw a can of blackhorn 209 last week at Fleetfarm in lakeville but it was behind the counter. It did not say it was in stock when I checked online so maybe the Fleetfarm buy you might have some hidden”…. Migz

They may have it but require you to ask specifically for it at the gun counter and probably will sell only one per customer.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I found a container of it this spring oddly enough at Scheels while looking for some turkey loads. I picked it right up as i hadn’t seen it in eons. I figure it might be just that ownership changed for Western to Hodgedon, and maybe there is some growing pains with making the new product. I hope they don’t change anything, I love the powder.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I looked over the weekend on hodgon site and they showed stock, 2 bottles shipped to my door was going to be like 215 bucks, not that desperate yet (have like half a bottle left).

deertracker

Finally scored a jug locally at Fleet. Last one! Of course it was $79.99. doah
    DT

Jimmy Jones

That’s actually cheap DT. Lots of people are springing for the powder at $89.00. Or higher. I have three jugs now but starting this smokeless project I’ll likely see my BH consumption cut drastically If the smokeless rifle does what It’s supposed to do I’ll only be burning bh in the pistol. That’s only 90 grain a pop.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.