black marks on white fiberglass boat

• rmartin
    United States

Any suggestions on what to use on the marks shown in the picture? Some seem to be flush with the Gel coat. I have tried bleach/detergent and also toilet bowl cleaner and also pencil eraser with no help whatsoever. This is a less than 1 year old boat. Thanks

Attachments:
    1. 141216_001.jpg

rmartin
    United States

What are the marks from?

no idea, thanks for the reply. Your post made me think that there was perhaps some stuff in the shed from the former owner. I found some West Marine Black Marks remover that seems to work to some extent on the marks although very slowly and does not seem to get it all, but definite improvement.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If it’s like a scuff mark go to a auto parts store. Ask for a product used to remove pinstriping from cars. It fits on a drill and looks just like the rubber gum type earsers we had in school. It will remove the mark without damaging the paint.
    Anything else and i can’t help you. Good luck let us know what you find.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Mr.Clean Magic Eraser!

rmartin
    United States

After cleaning the best I could, I found fresh marks on one side. I think these might be from dragging a garden hose around the boat for the wash down.

imhooked
    Oconomowoc, WI

I 2nd the Magic Eraser after owning a white Skeeter for 3 years.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

My Beckman nets leaves terrible black marks on my white fiberglass. A Magic Eraser is quick and easy though.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Buff them out with some light polishing compound and a buffer, maybe? A lot depends on if they are “on” the gelcoat or “in” the gelcoat.

Are they really something deposited on the surface? Or are they abrasions that cut into the gelcoat?

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Mine has the same marks on it. I’m almost positive its net rash and i cant get it off my boat either. I’ll have to try the magic eraser.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.