Black Hills Spring Turkey

• Bonehead
    Participant

Hey guys I was wondering if any of you have ventured out to the Black hills in chase of some turkeys. I am thinking about a hunt in early May. I was just looking for any tips on hunting an expansive area like the hills. I have spent countless hours looking at onX maps and I think I have watched every YouTube video there is. Any tip would be great
    Thanks

Attachments:
    1. Snapchat-1705868757-01.jpeg

tornadochaser
    Participant

be prepared to deal with lots of road hunters.

Darell Golly
    Participant

Any updates on your trip? On my list of trips to make.

Brad Dimond
    Participant

Last time I was in Rapid City it was hilarious. Turkeys all over the place within the city limits, did not see one outside of the city for the first five miles. Never hunted them out in the Black Hills, it’s on the list of things to do.

Bonehead
    Participant

Quick update…I was in the hills April 30th through May 4th. We started off north of Hill City. We found travel by truck to be difficult due to snow covered roads in the high elevation. A local and his wife out riding the trails in their razor pointed us in the right direction. He has been hunting the hills for more than 30 years. We went south where he suggested we start. Being late in the day and rain on the way we decided to set up camp before we got wet. The passing thunderstorm made the turkeys gobble in the roost. He was right behind camp. That morning we went after him. Needless to say we where not ready for him to come racing in to the call and we got caught with our pants down. Fast forward to the last morning. Spotted a big Tom and 6 hens just off the road. We had to get up a few hundred feet in elevation to put a sneak on him. As we where about 15 yards from sealing the deal some jackass from Colorado ripped up on them and shot from their side by side. They missed and wrecked our hunt. All that aside I am going back next year. Beautiful country to hunt turkeys in. Unlike any turkey hunting I have done!
    PS… Best be in shape, those are mountains not hills! Lol

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.