bird feeding

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

put the hummingbird and oriole feeders out yesterday……..no visitors yet.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>
    the pine and evening grosbeaks come down to the cabin area during the winter months…we see a bunch but i’d bet they headed north again. i havent seen the red breasted grosbeaks yet either

I should have clarified that I meant red breasted grosbeaks.

One pair showed up today!

Bob Ford
    West Side Mille Lacs Lake

Just had my first humminbird on lake mille lacs. Was a thirsty guy.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Seen the first oriole, no hummingbirds yet

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

No orioles at our cabin yet (nw sconny) but I did see a wren this morning in Woodbury. It was checking out our wren house. yay

ThunderLund78

Finally had a hummingbird at my feeder in the southern mero, but he might be a little loopy after that last drink, that sugar water has been fermenting for about three days, going to refresh it this morning. Not having any luck with my Oriole feeder. Will also be refreshing my oranges and grape jelly. They are around but just haven’t found it yet.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Still haven’t seen a hummer, but I know it’ll be soon.

I did hear and see a wren yesterday–first one of the spring. I put my wren boxes out in a hurry.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I pulled a hummer out of the screen on our deck yesterday evening.

+1 to the “Screeneze” product as it’s been crazy durable and way better than anything else for screening large spans with no breaks

+1 also to the hummer as he sat in my hand for 30 seconds, let the girls check him out up close and personal, before taking off again.

Jeff Schomaker

We have been covered up in Orioles and a few Finches in SW Iowa. My neighbors have a couple hummingbird feeders out but I have only seen a handful so far. Usually there are hummingbirds all over their feeders so maybe the late spring has slowed their progress. Does anyone have a good way of feeding Cardinals but keeping all the starlings and sparrows away?

Jimmy Jones

Does anyone have a good way of feeding Cardinals but keeping all the starlings and sparrows away?

Smooth-bore .22 and a handful of shot cartridges.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

thats funny Jimmy……with the neighbors i got!!!!! flame doah whistling

Crdinals have no problem feeding off my main bird feeders of sunflowers and safflower seeds.

i do have one of them blue bluebird feeder trays cardinals eat out of 2. i just chase the unwanted birds away. mainlt blackbirds and starlings but once t hey seem to go off and nest i usually dont have issues with them. but i havent seen a bluebird in 3 years, after they all died down in Missouri a few years back!!! frown

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Hummingbirds finally arrived this afternoon!

ThunderLund78

Finally got an Oriole in the rain this morning. Funny though, fresh oranges and jelly, you’d think they’d be all over it but just had the one show up, feed for a bit and leave. It’s been more than an hour with no further activity. I’m sure it will pick up.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Ok, this Wren is wearing out his welcome already. Wont shut up! jester
    Someone send a female over here so he can settle down.

Update: we got Thrashers!!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Someone send a female over here so he can settle down.

They get feistier once they have a nest!

Buffalo Fishhead

We have had a Western Tanager at the feeder for a few days and then today a Bullocks Oriole showed up.

Buffalo Fishhead

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Just learned this last summer. Don’t put food coloring in the hummer water. There’s a chemical in the coloring that is harmful to them. The red attractant of the feeders is more than enough.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Just learned this last summer. Don’t put food coloring in the hummer water. There’s a chemical in the coloring that is harmful to them. The red attractant of the feeders is more than enough.

Good point. I just go 1 to 4 on the sugar mix with water and they skarf it up.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I just go 1 to 4 on the sugar mix with water and they skarf it up.

Same. Which reminds me that I need to make some more.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i was told during there migration period to mix 3 to 1 water sugar!!! then 4;1 after there here a bit.

i do use red food coloring. its been my understanding years past the food coloring may have been harmful but not anymore. and i havent seen a dead hummer ever!!!!! and by the amount of hummingbirds we have at the cabin, there surviving just fine.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

First sighting for our hummers was Tue 9th A 7:30 am, second one for us was just now. Of course we don’t get to watch them constantly.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

It’s not a great picture, but I captured a hummingbird, grosbeak, oriole and woodpecker all at once.

Attachments:
    1. 20230516_080628-scaled.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

It’s not a great picture, but I captured a hummingbird, grosbeak, oriole and woodpecker all at once.

waytogo waytogo

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

We were feeding pretty often all spring until the bears showed up. Then they went straight to ruining the feeders… 3 nights in a row he showed up. I finally was awake when he came and went outside and stood about 10ft away and asked him what the hell he thought he was doing and chased him off… That was good for a week, then he came back 2 nights ago.

We hang feeders in the tree, he rips them down, shepherds hook, he plows it over. I’m going to give him a bloody nose next time I see him!

picklerick
    Central WI

Hummers nonstop at Big Rock’s live cam. Pretty cool.

Leech Lake Live Cam

picklerick
    Central WI

Anyone else get hit in the back of the head today by a baby robin taking it’s first flight out of the tree? No? Me neither.

picklerick
    Central WI

Just watched a house wren carry a pine stick up into the base of my trailer post. I felt bad pulling about 50 little sticks out but it was only the start of a nest. He/she wasn’t happy about it, chattering at me from a pine branch next to the boat. Taped it over with painter’s tape. Hopefully that keeps it out. The boat’s taking a road trip soon.

Had cardinals, catbirds and orioles eating from the jelly feeder today.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

been a while………took down my oriole juice feeder today. havent seen one in maybe 3 weeks……when the robins, finches and others are done cleaning up the grape jelly that feeder is getting put away to.

then thee wasp traps go up.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

They just started coming back for me. They seem to disappear in the first part of June. In fack all the birds have picked up lately they are just coming off nesting.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Funny how Orioles do that. We still have them at the cabin but as soon as the hatchlings can fly they mostly leave.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 194 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.