bird feeding

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

bringing this back to life!!!!!!

anyone one seen and orioles or hummingbirds yet??? live in central Mn. thinking of setting out the jelly feeders, maybe wait till next week for the juice. as i typically wait till the week before opener to put out any hummer or oriole juice!!!1

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

We’ve seen orioles around starting just this week. We are about 2 miles from Pool 4.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I was thinking about doing the same. I looked at a Hummingbird Migration map and the closest sightings were in Central Iowa. My guess is they will start showing up around our area real soon. I just purchased some jelly and oranges to put out on the Oriole feeder this morning. I will probably put that out in the next few days

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve had nectar out for a while. Haven’t seen any hummers yet, but it won’t be long.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’ve had nectar out for a while. Haven’t seen any hummers yet, but it won’t be long.

How often do you change out the hummingbird nectar? We don’t seem to get a lot of Hummingbirds at our house. I’m told its because a lack of pine tree’s. So the nectar tends to last a rather long time. I read once that in cool weather it should be replaced every 3-4 days and in Warm temps every day or Two. They said spoilage is harmful to the birds and the birds will not use the feeder often if it is not fresh

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

When it’s cool, maybe weekly. When it’s warm, every few days. They definitely won’t use it once it goes bad.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

When it’s cool, maybe weekly. When it’s warm, every few days. They definitely won’t use it once it goes bad.

Good to know. I may have to just not fill it as much and change it more often. maybe that will help me start getting more at our feeder. My wife really wants to watch them but we just have not had much luck attracting them the last few years. maybe keeping fresher nectar will help.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i usually never fill the feeders full. and typically just watch how much they consume and fill or change accordingly!! at home i have 1 orile feeder and 2 hummingbird feeders, 1 of which is a window feeder.

at the cabin we have 4 hummingbird feeders out…….once there there i can usually fill them about every 4 days…..and in the fall…….every day!!!!!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Yeah, I never fill more than halfway, and my feeders get quite a bit of action. Definitely keep it fresh.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Hummingbird feeders-At our cabin they suck them dry. I almost always start from an empty feeder.
    However the Orioles like to hit them as well so its usually gone from one weekend to the next.
    Im guessing the Orioles are back but wont know until this weekend. They are thick around our cabin early season then slowly all but disappear through the summer.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

I have not seen the hummingbirds or Orioles yet. Also waiting on grosbeaks, scarlet tanagers and indigo buntings. I haven’t seen any bluebirds but they should already be in the area.

On the plus side, I have a pair of yellow rumped warblers hanging out right now. My assumption is that they are on their way further north.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

From last summers photo’s. Hornet and Hummers don’t mix.

Attachments:
    1. last.jpg

2. first.jpg

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have not seen the hummingbirds or Orioles yet. Also waiting on grosbeaks,

I know someone up on the rainy River who posted a picture of a bunch of grosbeaks at his feeder, so they are that far north already. I’m not sure if they migrate or live in Minnesota Year around. I believe some type of grosbeaks do winter here – Other do Migrate I believe

glenn57
    cold spring mn

the pine and evening grosbeaks come down to the cabin area during the winter months…we see a bunch but i’d bet they headed north again. i havent seen the red breasted grosbeaks yet either.

BK my experience with hummer feeders and hornets…same with ants= time to change the juice!!!! and when it gets to that point i put out hornet traps!!!!! i collect quite a few in the fall!!!!!i HATE them friggin things!!!!

JEREMY
    BP

Had a hummingbird by my living room window yesterday. Guessing it was looking for the feeder I havent got out yet.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Had a hummingbird by my living room window yesterday. Guessing it was looking for the feeder I havent got out yet.

Where are you located ?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Yeah, they certainly remember where the feeders are! Pretty amazing something that tiny can make that long of a migration annually.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

the pine and evening grosbeaks come down to the cabin area during the winter months…we see a bunch but i’d bet they headed north again. i havent seen the red breasted grosbeaks yet either

I should have clarified that I meant red breasted grosbeaks.

Jimmy Jones

We haven’t put the Oriole feeders out yet but i can hear them in the park trees.

Tomorrow I’ll get them out.

picklerick
    Central WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brian Klawitter wrote:</div>
    From last summers photo’s. Hornet and Hummers don’t mix.

FRIGGIN cool!!!!!

Definitely. That’s why I stopped feeding the hummers. They do fine on the wildflowers and hosta around our house. Kept having mice issues with bird seed so I don’t feed them anymore either.
    I do still feed the orioles when they come back. Haven’t heard one yet but it should be real soon. There’s a big knot on a basswood in the yard that woody hollowed out that makes a nice jelly bowl. Tack up some halved oranges here and there too.
    I remember when I first moved here 21yrs ago and the first rose breasted grosbeak showed up on the feeder outside the kitchen window. Never saw one before and had to look it up. Maybe I’ll put a feeder or two up again just not so close to the house.

BrianF

First hummer of the year arrived at the feeder this morning, May 5th. This is in Eagan MN.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

First hummer of the year arrived at the feeder this morning, May 5th. This is in Eagan MN.

Nice. I keep expecting to see one. Gonna be any day.

Ron F
    Rochester MN

Saw our first oriole here in Rochester this morning.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

got alot of things going today outside before all the rain there forecasting, but i’ll get them out soon!!!!!!!

Jimmy Jones

I got the Oriole feeders out this morning and we’ve had Orioles all day. Right now they’re liking the nectar and orange halves. They’ve gone to the grape jelly a couple times but gravitate back to the nectar or oranges.

I cut asparagus today too and we had it for dinner. Oven roasted it. Delicious.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I checked my asparagus yesterday and it’s not even out of the ground yet! doah

Jimmy Jones

I cut almost two pounds. Sure was a good treat at dinner today.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

Had my first Oriole and grosbeak today. still waiting on hummingbirds

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 194 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.